Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Former client wants my prior year data file

Ephesians3-14
Level 8

I have a strict policy of not providing the PS data file to former clients. I always provide a copy of the return with ALL applicable schedules to each client.

My guess is that this former client wants to use the data file in preparing the 2019 business tax return so he can see my notes and figure out how to prepare the return on his own. 

Do I have any obligation to provide the ProSeries data file to a DIY client? 

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

You are under no obligation to provide your data file from PS, which is not among the client records as defined under §10.28 of Circular 230.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
IRonMaN
Level 15

You gave him all that you are required to give him.  I would never give a former or current client a copy of the data file.  If there is something wrong with that then CAGMC.  

As side note, unless he buys ProSeries, I'm not sure what he would do with it anyway.  It won't convert to Turbo Tax .

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

You are under no obligation to provide your data file from PS, which is not among the client records as defined under §10.28 of Circular 230.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Agreed.  You did what is required of you.

I do have a new client coming, he just moved to town....he said his prior preparer asked if I wanted the tax file to make it easier for me....I told him sure!   Guess we'll see what kind of file he brings me, there may be some way to convert it if its from some other program.....we'll see what happens.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
itonewbie
Level 15

Yeah, when I worked on program clients, we did get consents from each individual client covered by the engagement to have the former CPA firm transfer the data file to us.  It's an onerous but routine process for group programs but much easier to accomplish for individual clients so long as the former accountant is willing to transfer the file (sometimes with a fee).

Still an AllStar
Ephesians3-14
Level 8

I know this client is just looking to reverse engineer the amounts that I put in specific areas of the return so that she can do it on her own

oakhillsal
Level 3

If the client wants it that bad, have them pay you the same rate as would be to prep the current year taxes as a service fee.  That ought to end the call quick.