Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 990 Efiling - Officer's Social Security Number

Audit309
Level 1

I am trying to efile Form 990 and I am receiving an error because it wants the Officer's social security number. Is there away around entering the personal number? I believe in other programs I read you can enter a dummy number. This is a pain because the Officer's do not want to provide their numbers.

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
PATAX
Level 15

I wouldn't make a mountain out of a molehill and I would just get the number, what's the big deal?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Since the IRS says the number is optional, I thought Intuit was going to also do an update to make it optional.  I haven't tried one without the SS number since that post appeared, but I would try shutting off error checking when converting the file for e-filing and see if it flies.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN it doesn't surprise me that some officers of nonprofit organizations do this, especially the more well-to-do entities and the country clubs... Maybe they think they are high and mighty, and maybe they think they are better than other people... If I ever come across someone like that , that sticks his nose up in the air, I will tell him flat out:  That while his Great-Grandfather was back in Europe taking a crap behind a tree, my Great-Grandfather was living in a Castle in Hungary... being humble is a great virtue and no one likes an arrogant person...

IRonMaN
Level 15

We had a couple of nonprofits that had folks that were hesitant to give them out of fear that it was going to be showing up in the 990 someplace.  When they were told that it was some idiotic e-filing requirement and wouldn't be out in plain view of the public, they were ok providing the info.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

They should block out all Social Security numbers just like they block out our ptin number...

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Has anyone checked the HELP file to see if a "dummy" number can be put in its place?  I dont do 990's, so this isnt in my wheelhouse at all.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪