Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 8949

robertmazza
Level 3

I have short-term sales with wash sales.  When I enter the summarized amounts for sales, cost and adjustments, the program requires me to enter a purchase date and a sales date.  It does not accept various.  I entered 12/31/20 for both dates and now these dates appear on the filed form 8949.  Is this OK?  Thanks for any direction you can provide to me.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Various for purchase, and whatever date for sale that you want to use.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Accountant-Man
Level 12

VARIOUS works for purchase date, but not for sales date. I use 12/31 if I have to.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Various for purchase, and whatever date for sale that you want to use.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
robertmazza
Level 3

Thanks for your direction.  Much appreciated.

0 Cheers
robertmazza
Level 3

Lisa,

Thanks for getting back to me on my question.  I appreciate your guidance on this one.

0 Cheers
StuartCPA
Level 1

If you use the code MW you do not have to input a sales date. Put the wash sale amount on the left of the entry line not the upper right.

dylanlennon
Level 1

Your position [Pro Series position-?] does not conform to the Form 8949 Instructions.

At page 3-4, under Exception 2, it states: 

"Leave columns (b) and (c) blank."

Advising to put in a fake date does not conform top the Form 8949 instructions.

0 Cheers
dylanlennon
Level 1

Your position of "whatever date for sale that you want to use" does not conform to the Form 8949

Instructions. At page 3-4, under exception 2, it is stated:  "Leave columns (b) and (c) blank."

Putting in a date is not an equivalent of leaving those columns blank.

In the 2019 inputs for form 8949, the instructions were followed.

Please recode these inputs, so that the reporting conforms to the Form 8949 Instructions.

0 Cheers