Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 8915F

rcooley25
Level 11

Here we go again. I can get the information on the tax return without using 8915F but is this permitted?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ljr
Level 8

Patience - and the irs hasn't even opened for tax season yet. Keep checking the form release dates - I would not send a return without the form - just tell your client you will notify them when the IRS finalizes the form and it is available for filing. Why is anyone in that much of a hurry to file that return? I think you will have more problems down the road with the client and the IRS if you send without the form.

View solution in original post

92 Comments 92
dkh
Level 15

Isn't that taking a chance IRS will delay processing the return because the proper forms were not used.  Can't efile until January 24th anyhow  - maybe 8915F will be ready by then.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"Here we go again"

Yep; this is the Fifth time you started a topic on this form. It sure would help the peers that volunteer to answer, and the other users that might have the same issue, if you kept it to One Topic and we could follow the development and the IRS release of the form, which will percolate down to Intuit updates.

It doesn't make sense to follow one issue across multiple topics when they are your questions, the same as the last time you asked about this form, which was Jan 12, and Jan 11 and... and the speculation is that the form might be ready mid-March, and you were party to those answers, too.

I am sure everyone joins in the frustration. No need to keep harping on the same issue as new topics.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Still in draft at IRS, no way we'll have it by opening day.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Still in draft at IRS, no way we'll have it by opening day."

I'm thinking to make this a Reply Macro...

rcooley25
Level 11

That is too dam bad.

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

I will keep harping on this untill we get a solution. The sqeeky weal gets the oil. If you are offendwed by my constant questioning about this then maybe you should choose another line of work.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You realize were all just other users like yourself, right?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Maybe you should try squeaking over at the IRS.  If the form is still in draft form there, there really isn't anything to be gained by complaining to Intuit --------- even if that is a favorite pastime for some of us.

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

there really isn't anything to be gained by complaining to Intuit

The draft form has been available for over 4 months, so if it is not included in ProSeries yet, there really is no reason why Intuit shouldn't have added the draft version to the software to make it semi-functional. 

But as you pointed out, Intuit can not do anything to make it file-able until the IRS finalizes it.

rcooley25
Level 11

I keep complaing about this situation because I hope that there is someone other than the ones thatr have replied to my post that might have an answer that I have not yet heard. If this bothers you too much simply do not reply to my post.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
So you're hoping some stranger on the internet will tell you its ok to file without the 8915F becasue you "can get the information on the tax return without using" it?

IRonMaN
Level 15

But you aren't getting it.  **bleep** here doesn't do any good because only other users of Intuit products are seeing your posts.  You can complain all you want, it doesn't bother me, but it really doesn't do any good.  If you want Intuit to hear, then look up the e-mail addresses of the Intuit top brass and complain to them.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I will keep harping on this untill we get a solution."

Every day? Because none of your Peers here can help the situation. We have no more control over the IRS than you have; you should call your Senators and Congressmen every day, then.

"I keep complaing about this situation because I hope that there is someone other than the ones thatr have replied to my post that might have an answer that I have not yet heard. If this bothers you too much simply do not reply to my post."

Perhaps we all should ask you, via this forum, every day, if there is any change yet to the status of that form.

This is a Peer User Community. This is sort of like co-workers, and you are being rude to those that have voluntarily helped already. If you sign up for IRS e-newsletters, you will get the notification directly as to what is going on and ready for the season. You could then share that info with the rest of us, including by participation on this forum.

You would be part of the solution, instead of part of the problem. Imagine that!

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@rcooley25 wrote:

that might have an answer that I have not yet heard.

It is REQUIRED to use form 8915-F.

ProSeries does not have it yet, even the draft version.  It would be great if they added that to the program so we can do the preliminary tax returns, but asking for it on this forum will have ZERO influence on anybody at Intuit speeding that up.

It will not be able to be e-filed until (1) the IRS finalized the form AND (2) ProSeries updates things to match that finalized form (which typically takes 2 or 3 weeks after the IRS finalizes it, but sometimes it is faster).

That is the only answer.  There is nothing else to do until those things happen. 

PATAX
Level 15

The people responding to you are volunteers and do not get paid for helping others. They have helped many other tax preparers on this forum. I checked your prior posts,  and I do not see you trying to help anyone else with their questions or posts.

Jamierac
Level 4

Form 8915F is needed for any 3 year spread from last years 2020 return  Its also needed if a taxpayer has made any paybacks vs what was taken last year.  

ProSeries needs to get this form into its system ASAP even if its in a draft form,  Their communication on these type issues is not good.  I do not even see a listing for form 8915F.  Hopefully someone from ProSeries can respond to this.  I have called support and even though you get nice people they cant even answer this.  There seems to be a disconnect between technical support and the programmers or the people who set the dates from the releasing of some of these forms.  

ljr
Level 8

Patience - and the irs hasn't even opened for tax season yet. Keep checking the form release dates - I would not send a return without the form - just tell your client you will notify them when the IRS finalizes the form and it is available for filing. Why is anyone in that much of a hurry to file that return? I think you will have more problems down the road with the client and the IRS if you send without the form.

Jamierac
Level 4

Patience is applicable when you know what a program is doing.  If you have read my posts you realize that my biggest critique with ProSeries is with their communication on issues such as these.  If they simply said we are aware of form 8915F and it will be in the program...... that would suffice. It is not even mentioned. 

Also:  Fully aware of when the IRS opens.  There are certain returns I start early due to circumstances that are appropriate to my practice and specific clients.  Maybe not yours.  So, the question arises that am I able to proform/transfer these returns that NEED the 8915F or not since if I start them and then have to re proform/transfer them the work will be needlessly duplicated. 

hankinstax
Level 5

Per the IRS at a  forum this year:  YOU NEED THE FORM TO AVOID POSSIBLE PROCESSING DELAYS.  Intuit can't finalize the form before the IRS does.  

rcooley25
Level 11

I understand why the final form is not in the system. But the rough draft shoul be. Other software have the rough draft in them why not pro series?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Because Intuit tends to have a higher number of dumber customers who will try filing returns with non finalized forms?

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@rcooley25 wrote:

I understand why the final form is not in the system. But the rough draft shoul be. Other software have the rough draft in them why not pro series?

I agree, there is no excuse to not have it in the software.  The draft form has been available for over 4 months, and the draft instructions have been available for at least a month-and-a-half.

The Intuit development team is clueless.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
they always take a super long time for the 8915 forms...it shows 8915B, C and D which have been around for years, wont be final until mid March.

rcooley25
Level 11

That answer makes more sense than anyother one I have received. Thank you for your response.

Jamierac
Level 4

You CAN'T file a form if it is in the software not finalized.  (See many state forms that will not print).  So once again the question comes up is:  Why do other software companies such as Drake, have these forms, which are not finalized and even though they can not be printed, we can actually input into our systems?  In all my experience, (27 years, 19 as an EA), this is a valid critique of ProSeries.  And I do it as a constructive critique. The other reason why you want these forms in even if not approved is to actually get used to the functionality.  

0 Cheers
Jamierac
Level 4

I do not believe they are clueless.  But the way they bring the forms up to date are not conducive to some of us who have different needs then others.  IF NO OTHER SOFTWARE companies had this form into their systems then I would get it.  And no I am not switching software because of this since I feel ProSeries in spite of this issue is still a good software.  So being balanced here I feel we can criticize constructively.

0 Cheers
Jamierac
Level 4

Lisa I get that.  But again, why only ProSeries?  The 8915 C and D is a hardly used form and the 8915F is going to be a widely used form that we have zero guidance on as to when it will appear AND if we can proform/transfer before it is installed.  As my threads keep mentioning its their communication more then not actually having the forms here. They need to have a better way to do this part of their support.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
8915C and D may not be used often where you are located, but there were hurricanes and wildfires in multiple states in 2018 and 2019, probably a more common form in those areas.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

C and D are examples of continuity for specific event years across applicable tax years for those specified disasters. Then, the IRS, not Intuit, has made a change and E is the transition year.

"So once again the question comes up is:"

Why do you think the peer users are going to be able to explain business decisions for Intuit? It does no one any good to badger them over this. We all see the info when the info is released.

Jamierac
Level 4

Lisa:

The 8915F is the "forever" form for 2021 and beyond.  The other forms are for the years they occurred.  The 8915F will be the last of the 8915 series as per IRS, therefore its dubbed the forever form.  I agree those other forms may be used but they are for events prior to the coronavirus distributions and though there may be some that use this it will pale in comparison to what the 8915F will be for 2021 and 2022 tax years.

So once again my only critique is in the communication of ProSeries.  Yes I will beat this drum respectfully, but thats how change and paying it forward occurs. 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Yes I will beat this drum respectfully"

Okay; but could you take it outside, please? The rest of your Peers are working here.

Jamierac
Level 4

Where outside would you recommend me go? I think you are missing the point of this discussion QB.  I am not attacking anyone, quite the contrary.  This is just a discussion and if you have a better place or people to discuss this with, I am open to hearing this.  But otherwise I have as much a right to express constructive critique as you.  So perhaps you may be in the wrong forum as well.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"I think you are missing the point of this discussion QB"

It's not a Discussion when you keep hammering the same question to the Peer users. It's you, walking up to the water cooler and every time, you demand your question get answered. Or, you know that is rhetorical, but insist that it be addressed, anyway. You are not discussing this with Intuit Customer Support nor the programmers nor the IRS. None of the peer users control timelines, intent, updates, release dates, or draft forms.

A discussion should not result in people shaking their heads over, "Oh, there they go, again; asking a question that has been answered, but they don't like the answer."

It's rude and there's no need to keep harping on something that we don't control any more than you control it. Otherwise, why don't we start our days asking you about it?

Jamierac
Level 4

I asked a question but again you seem to think its ok to tell someone to not discuss something because you deem it "beating the drum".  One or two weeks from now we wont have time for this anyway but I asked if you know where this would be productive.  If you dont know thats fine. If you tire of discussion just delete the emails you get.  All the best to you this tax season.  Cheers    

qbteachmt
Level 15

I think you might want to read up on the definition of Discuss.

"If you have read my posts you realize that my biggest critique with ProSeries is with their communication on issues such as these."

You are not asking Intuit support. You are not asking Customer support. You are not in touch with Programming support. You are on a public internet forum of peer users. The volunteers here that try to be helpful, support each other. Harping while we are in the same boat, doesn't change anything.

"just delete the emails you get"

This is a forum, on the internet. You might be getting email notifications of updates on the topic you are participating on. I don't get notifications. I read the topics here.

"because you deem it "beating the drum"."

That was your phrase. All I asked is, please stop harassing Peers that also know the form would be used, and also know the form is not included, and anyone trying to transfer data now will see that not everything is ready, and we've pretty much covered that here, so you can watch for updates, and stop asking us why it's Not updated.

You can be part of the solution or part of the problem, while your peers are trying to be helpful. No matter how many ways you look at it, we are not affecting the change you seek.

Jamierac
Level 4

Your message is  received.  I am not Sure where these rules come from that you are talking to me about. I have never had a problem before until you. I have never discussed anything on here and had feedback like this from anyone but you. Maybe you ought look at yourself in the mirror. You can have the last word if you want because that seems to be what you want. All the best to you. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Ok, someone has to do it.  Everybody take a time out and go to your room.

Whew, I hope I wasn't too rough on anybody. 😬

Slava Ukraini!
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

While I too dont feel the need to bring it up over and over again......I believe @Jamierac  has a point. I believe PS/Intuit is EXTREMELY lacking in its communication skills. 

I believe @IntuitGabi has created a voting for F2210....cant we do something similar with 8915F? That would certainly allow folks to voice their opinions. 

I hope I have not missed anyones point, If I have......OOOOOPS!! 😂🤣

PATAX
Level 15

@garman22 if you hire that new employee, please consider sharing pictures with us, and maybe we can have a vote on that too!!!...just joking.....😉🙂

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Lmao!! I would love to share those pictures. But.......we would need to create a separate forum for that. 😈

qbteachmt
Level 15

I looked up the form on the various release date lists. One has the 8915-F for 2020 as delayed (that form won't even exist for 2020). The other has all of the 8915 forms as 3/17/2022. In this Tax Talk topic:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/tax-talk/discussion/form-8915-f/01/187131#M6903

I posted the links to the IRS released forms and to the IRS Draft listing which shows revisions dates not released.

This is Late Changes, and it has last year's as well as Current Late Changes (oxymoron, much...?) and it is likely something to bookmark, if this tax year proceeds like last year did:

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/changes-to-current-forms-publications

Jamierac
Level 4

There is actually a place that we as users can post so the programmers and the people at pro series can see what we have been talking about.  It looks like proseries tax Idea exchange has this avenue. Although posting on here we are sort of tossing around ideas and issues. When we air our questions it’s to help each other and to make each other aware of What one of us might be dealing with. 

Dusty2
Level 7

@JamieracIf you put an @ infront of an Intuit support person they will see the post and you may get a response.  So the best is to put

@IntuitBettyJo 

@IntuitGabi 

Why can't we have the draft copy of this form available so we are prepared when the final form is ready?

Dusty

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Dusty2 wrote:

Why can't we have the draft copy of this form available so we are prepared when the final form is ready?

The draft form only came out 4+ months ago. Intuit doesn't act that quickly.   🤔

Jamierac
Level 4

Hey Dusty.

Yesterday I was "told" this is not the forum to suggest things, (changes, enhancements etc) on this site.  I totally understand that.  Last year I suggested on a different forum about the color coding of past year returns and they seemed to take that suggestion, though, I would have preferred they gave us the option to color code each year to whatever worked best for us, they did at least look at it and make a change. 

Same with the income documents, W2s, 1099R's and even unemployment on a joint return.  It should not default to taxpayer. No matter how careful you are you may forget to code T or S on a W2 and potentially create excess social security and not catch it.  Just putting stuff on here to make it known to other users who may or may not be aware of what is going on.  Paying it forward, when possible, is best way to work on here or anywhere one may be involved

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Just as a side note, the color coding thing has been suggested for years.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"It looks like proseries tax Idea exchange has this avenue."

It is for asking, then they have to approve releasing it for voting, then we all get to vote yes or no, then they need to count the votes, then they submit it into their process, then it gets reviewed, then it gets acted on, then it gets released.

"I was "told" this is not the forum to suggest things"

No one stated that; you posted multiple times a rhetorical question to the Peer Users over and over again about why ProSeries doesn't have what you want now, and isn't communicating the specifics and we cannot answer it no matter how many times you ask. Yes, the Idea Exchange is where you put requests. That isn't the same as the complaining you did here, and you clearly knew this, because you are the one who told us you want to keep beating the drum.

"Just putting stuff on here to make it known to other users who may or may not be aware of what is going on. Paying it forward, when possible, is best way to work on here or anywhere one may be involved"

Yes, that is how to play nice with your peer professionals. And it helps not to mingle topics, because your comments about Income marked as T, J or S, are great, and could go to the Ideas Exchange, and the color enhancement has been made as noted by one of your peers, and it's being mentioned quite a bit on the forum right now as people install 2021 and see the new provision in 2020.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

I suspect there will be a lot of new preparers on the forums this season, so it helps to point out: unless you see Intuit by the user name, everyone else here is peer users. Intuit provides user communities like this for their programs and products as part of the customer service concept of peer support. By comparison to the TurboTax forum, you won't find Intuit-Paid Users participating here and the Intuit people here are more of a liaison than Customer Support or Programming staff. You are not asking Intuit, when you make a post here. This is a Public internet forum and make sure to be careful about posting contact info, client info, etc. You don't even need to be logged in to see that stuff.

@rcooley25 

I would like to recognize that you, as the originator of this topic, when you are getting notices for your topic(s) being updated by replies, this is exactly the same reason I had first mentioned to you that there was no reason to ask the same question about Form 8915-F every day and have 5 or 6 new topics running. Now you see what happens and how it happens; that sort of multiplicity can result in nuisance updates breeding like rabbits.

It also means the volunteers may not notice it is the same person asking over and over, and their free time and service is spent on answering the same person the same thing, over and over. I like to point out: if you would not do an activity in real life (such as, around the water cooler), there is not much reason to also do it in an internet discussion.

rcooley25
Level 11

Thank You. I stand corrected.

0 Cheers