Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 1040 Line 10B Cares act allowable $300 contributions for Standard deduction filers not working in Tax Pro Basic package

Lou
Level 1

Form 1040 Line 10B Cares act allowable $300 contributions for Standard deduction filers not working in Tax Pro Basic package

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

15 Comments 15
Camp1040
Level 10

Enter the amount on line 10a 1/2. It is the line between 10a and 10b, after entering the amount enter it again on 10b and the amount should flow to 10c.

TetonTaxService
Level 3

It's not working for me either.  I have tried inputting it on all of the 10 lines.  I put the number in and it turns red with an error.  Have a call in now.  On this particular return, the taxpayer is a teacher and can take the $250 educator credit AND also had charitable contributions.  It won't allow both the $250 and the $300.  

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

The contribution is entered on the 1040 worksheet, the educator deduction is entered on the schedule 1 worksheet.

TetonTaxService
Level 3

So I'm on with support.  Its not the educator credit that's causing the error - the taxpayer had a $20 charitable contribution on their W2 and it's not allowing any more to be added as cash donations over that $20.

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

Put the total amount on charitable contributions schedule A itemized deductions. The fact that $20 was from a W-2 that went directly to the sch A may be causing the problem. 

Eg. If TP made total contribution of $125, enter that on schedule A.

TetonTaxService
Level 3

Yes.  It took 53 minutes with support to figure it out - they finally had me do that - put the difference between the charitable amount on the W-2 and $300 on the Schedule A as cash ($280) and then go back and do it on the 10b line.  I told them that was a ridiculous amount of work, when it could be all built into that 10b line.  but anyway...

Camp1040
Level 10

You can work around it if you are positive schedule A won't be needed.

Skip the line 14 for employee charitable contribution on the w2 worksheet and enter the total contribution up to $300 on line 10.5 form 1040.

rbynaker
Level 13

Fair warning (from past experiences with the software) double check your work-around before you actually go to efile.  By the time efile opens ProSeries programmers may have actually fixed the software and you don't want the software recomputing things using the correct data flow PLUS your work-around and either doubling things or cancelling things out (depending on what the work-around did).

My understanding is the same problem exists for contributions that flow through via K-1 so keep an eye on those too.

bofaman2
Level 1

I don't get it.  I gave money to a qualified charity, but the software Tax Pro Basic won't take it.  I am working in Turbotax Premier and I can't get post the $300.  

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

Are you entering more than $300 on line 10b?

0 Cheers
bofaman2
Level 1

I can not get it to word.  If I go to “Forms” and try to enter it directly, it will not let me enter anything at all on 10b.   If I go to "Federal > I’ll Chose what to work on > Deductions and credits” then I enter $300 into Contributions.    Nothing shows up on line 10b.    I would have assumed the software would automatically put $300 in 10b. if I had made contributions and still used the Standard Deduction.

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

If you are using PS Basic enter the $300 directly on line 10a & b of the 1040 worksheet.

Some other program, can't help you.

0 Cheers
bofaman2
Level 1

It sounds like if I use TurboTax Premier I am out of luck unless just do this manually off-line?

0 Cheers
bofaman2
Level 1

It sounds like if I use TurboTax Premier I am out of luck unless just do this manually on paper?

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

Go to the turbo tax forum. This forum is for professional prepares who don't use turbo tax.

0 Cheers