Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing status: Single to MFS

Smitty
Level 3

Filed my client as single person. His partner filed MFS and put my client's name & SS number on partner's return, which was prepared by somebody else.  My client's return was rejected, so now, can I change my client's filing status to MFS and resubmit electronically?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Smitty
Level 3

That was my thinking also, but needed confirmation from more professional person. 

Thank you....

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
Accountant-Man
Level 12

By partner, do you mean married under state law? If not married, neither can file as MFS.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
Smitty
Level 3

Yes, married under state law.

Accountant-Man
Level 12

Since it was rejected, yes, change it to MFS and e-file. You will need the partner's info.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
Smitty
Level 3

That was my thinking also, but needed confirmation from more professional person. 

Thank you....

rbynaker
Level 13

Quite often it's more advantageous to file as MFJ than MFS.  Before I hit send on an MFS return I would take a step back and look at the bigger picture here.  Why are they filing MFS?  Possibly because nobody told them about MFJ.