Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing FBARs for prior years when I did not use ProSeries

My first year with ProSeries is 2020 so I have the 2019 and 2020 programs.  I have a new client who needs FBARs for 2017 and 2018.  Is there any way to do this?  Like, to prepare an FBAR in 2019 but mark it as a 2018 filing?

I wouldn't mind pay per return if that is an option although I don't really want to download and install two full years just for two FBARs.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Discrete meaning you can only e-file these one by one on a PDF.  That's what they call it.

You can't prepare the PDF using your old software - that file won't be readable by FinCEN.  You have to download the fill-in PDF from FinCEN.  The website is not compatible with Chrome and Firefox somehow because of the version of Acrobat it requires, if I remember.  We ended up using either IE (or Edge - cant' recall exactly).

All the validation will be done at the time of submission, so you won't find out a day or two after the submission that it was rejected because your file contains illegal characters.  It's also very reliable in the sense that you will receive an acknowledgement almost instantaneously and the acceptance will come usually within 48 hours (whereas those filed through Intuit may not be accepted until after a week's time).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
itonewbie
Level 15

You can't prepare prior year FBAR with the current tax year's products.  AFAIK, you'd need a Fast Path license plus PPR to use PS for the prior years.

You may be better off using your software from last year to efile the FBAR's or e-filing those directly with FinCEN.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

Thanks, I kind of thought that would be the result - I don't think I can use the prior software as I am not licensed with it anymore but I can try.  Or just do it on the BSA website.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

NP, @Username is two words.  If I were you, I'd do discrete filing with FinCEN then.  In some ways, it's easily than preparing these on Intuit programs.

Still an AllStar

What is discrete filing?  I signed up on the BSA site and planned to do the form using my old software and upload it as a pdf.  

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Discrete meaning you can only e-file these one by one on a PDF.  That's what they call it.

You can't prepare the PDF using your old software - that file won't be readable by FinCEN.  You have to download the fill-in PDF from FinCEN.  The website is not compatible with Chrome and Firefox somehow because of the version of Acrobat it requires, if I remember.  We ended up using either IE (or Edge - cant' recall exactly).

All the validation will be done at the time of submission, so you won't find out a day or two after the submission that it was rejected because your file contains illegal characters.  It's also very reliable in the sense that you will receive an acknowledgement almost instantaneously and the acceptance will come usually within 48 hours (whereas those filed through Intuit may not be accepted until after a week's time).

Still an AllStar

Thank you, then I'll do that. 🙂