Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing an extension

Mike DB
Level 2

I am getting this error 

Duplicate Social Security Number: a tax return with the same Social Security number has already been submitted-in other words, it appears you are trying to submit the same return twice. If you need to change this return you will need to file an amended return by paper, in the mail.

Then below it it says:

Not transmitted. The first extension failed the tax submission first extension validation step . Please make the necessary corrections.

The first time it failed transmission due to the freeze box not checked. On the Screen it says marked for electronic filing. How do I fix this?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

Maybe a fraudulent return was filed or maybe they went online and filed a "simple return" to get the EIP.  This is going to be a rough year with all the EIP nonsense.  And we won't be done with it until the 2020s are filed.

If you're just filing an extension and can't get it to go through, you'll probably end up having to paper file the return.  I would try having the taxpayer go to IRS DirectPay and make an extension payment there.  If you're not planning on making a payment with extension, I'd have them pay $1 just to get a DirectPay extension in the system.  And don't wait until the last minute.  It has a nasty habit of crashing on 4/15 and 10/15.

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Sounds like you filed the return rather than the extension the first time around.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Mike DB
Level 2

Thats what I thought originally, but the return has not been filed, it is still showing marked for filing on Homebase. So it has not been filed yet...it is saying I failed the first extension validation, need to correct. Do you know what that is?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Someone filed a return in that SSN, or the taxpayer used the non filer site, so you wont be able to file an extension since a return has already been filed.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
rbynaker
Level 13

Maybe a fraudulent return was filed or maybe they went online and filed a "simple return" to get the EIP.  This is going to be a rough year with all the EIP nonsense.  And we won't be done with it until the 2020s are filed.

If you're just filing an extension and can't get it to go through, you'll probably end up having to paper file the return.  I would try having the taxpayer go to IRS DirectPay and make an extension payment there.  If you're not planning on making a payment with extension, I'd have them pay $1 just to get a DirectPay extension in the system.  And don't wait until the last minute.  It has a nasty habit of crashing on 4/15 and 10/15.

Rick

Mike DB
Level 2

Thanks...I filed the extension for them through direct pay and put in a $1 and got the confirm. I will attempt to file their taxes in the latter part of July...if the 1040 does not get e-filed with the same error...then you may be right ....there was some fraud involved so then the tax payer and I would have to go to the IRS. I would guess if it is determined to be fraud then the IRS would be on our side in this.  My client is elderly so I am sure they would not have filed any return on their own.

Thanks for your help

Mike

0 Cheers