Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing a return for a individual with rental property only

Here is the run down, i am filing a tax for a person that only has a rental property as income which is 40,000 for the year, The person does not have a w2 nor a 1099. The person is filing as married filing jointly and has 2 kids. I filled out the 1040 and put the 1098 in the form. I also have included schedule E which is used for rental property. The tax refund is staying to 0 and not giving the person any refund why is that, did i mess up on soemthing or this person will have a 0 refund since this person does not have a w2 or 1099 as income thanks will greatly appreciate if anyone can give me a detail response 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Did your client make any estimated tax payments. If he did not, then how do you expect to get a refund. That is pretty basic stuff, do you take CE's if not you should probably sent your client to a professional. Not trying to make you feel bad, but rental property can be complicated. 

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Did your client make any estimated tax payments. If he did not, then how do you expect to get a refund. That is pretty basic stuff, do you take CE's if not you should probably sent your client to a professional. Not trying to make you feel bad, but rental property can be complicated. 

dkh
Level 15

Based on your questions yesterday  RENTAL PROPERTY - Intuit Accountants Community

this is beyond your tax preparation experience.    I agree with @Terry53029 

In my early years I took on some returns way beyond my abilities ---  I regretted it.  Couldn't bill the client for the amount of time I had invested.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

Since you didn't know what form to put the activity on, I am a little concerned that you have done proper allocations of expenses since you said half the property was being occupied by the client.  Have you properly calculated depreciation?  Do yourself and the client a favor, stick to returns that you are comfortable preparing.  You may end up shooting yourself in the foot and wound the client with the same gun shot when you prepare returns that you don't have the proper background to undertake.  We are all good at something, do the things you are good at and leave the rest to someone else

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

@conveniencebrokerage 

You started yet another topic on this issue:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/deprecation-on-schedule...

Is this the Same Person and the same activity, in all three topics?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.