Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files repeatedly corrupted in Fixed Asset Manager

JoeGuitarman
Level 2

Is anyone using the Fixed Asset Manager Program. We have repeatedly had major file corruption for no apparent reason. We will be working in the program and the program will close on its own. When we restart and click on the client, it says it is not a fixed asset file. When we cannot rebuild the client index as that also says it is not a fixed asset file. We can rebuild the system index but that does nothing.

Does anyone have any experience with this.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

19 Comments 19
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

I've used it for years... never had that problem.  Including this year to date.  Don't think it's a program problem, or this place would be slammed with posts like yours.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
JoeGuitarman
Level 2

Thanks for the quick reply. I have used FAM since 2012 without any issues as well. Just love bugs... and bug fixes. The only thing different this year is running Windows 10 .... Driving me crazy ...

0 Cheers
nytcpa2012
Level 4

it HAS been slammed for at least 2 years now.....the question is just worded in such a way that it didn't get matched up with the word "corrupted".  The posts usually say what message appears when they can't reopen a file.....something about "is not a data file....."

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

You are right.... i have had that issue twice  this year... and of course.... on two of the bigger client schedules,    but never while working in the client file.   just when trying to reopen it.    I NEVER leave a FAM client file open any more.... though it might  have something to do with other bugs/programs sneaking in... 🙂

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
Al007
Level 3

I have had three files destroyed by the fixed asset manager program.  It is truly beyond belief that this keeps happening.  Intuit as a whole has become a company devoid of ethics and/or concerns for its customers.  This is really theft of services - we pay for a program that destroys its own data files and not only does not work properly but makes us spend hours of time to reconstruct the lost data.  The customer support for ProSeries and QuickBooks has deteriorated in both wait time and quality of knowledge of the support person.  It is unfortunate for the users of their program that we have no recourse since Intuit ignores the complaints it is surely aware of.

Al007
Level 3

I have also experienced this problem of FAM corrupting its own files. This has happened to me four times. Believe it or not, when I searched this problem on the Internet, this problem existed in 2012 with tax preparers making the same exact comments. Clearly those in charge at Intuit/ProSeries pay no attention to the inherent problems and glitches in this program. The program is a "stepchild" as it does not update with the rest of ProSeries. Additionally, no one at ProSeries tech support could even tell me if the first version was ever updated. It would require manual updatiing if there was an update. The solution is to move on to a different tax software provider. Why bang your head against the wall working with defective software from a company that is indifferent in regard to customer issues?

Al007
Level 3

Yes you are correct. ProSeries has been slammed for FAM and other mishaps for more than two years. If they spent as much effort denying and dodging the deficiencies they could correct these issues. Intuit as organization is now interested in acquisitions and raising cash. They reduced their support company wide and suffer from ignoring customer issues.

TBo
Level 2

I'm going to try and get my money back. It did this right before my client meeting tomorrow. I'm disgusted

0 Cheers
DAIL4321
Level 2

I am also having the same problem and I am on the Hosted environment in Right Networks.

I have spent hours on the line with support walking me through troubleshooting, and they cannot recover the corrupt files, as they go corrupt as soon as they are saved. I do not have time to mess with Fixed Asset manager, and support, so I end up just manually entering into ProSeries which does not include the cents detail. I am so annoyed with the entire thing, as I have used Proseries and Fixed Asset Manager for almost 17 years, and this problem started with 2021's FAM. Then I thought maybe 2022, would be better, nope... I cannot get anything to save before going corrupt. Being that the information is not on a server housed in my office, and it is hosted through ProSeries, I would not think that we would have this problem. 

I am a small ffirm, and it just really bothers me the time I had wasted last season with it, and to see this tax season it is doing the same, does not look too promising. I do not want to sit on the phone with support as they walk me through troubleshooting, why can they just not fix the program and get back to me?

TBo
Level 2

I'm about to call this week and try and get my money back. Did you get a refund? Someone recommended Asset Keeper on this post to me

0 Cheers
DAIL4321
Level 2

I have not taken the time to call, of course they do not open until 9am my time, which is when my phone starts ringing.

0 Cheers
TBo
Level 2

I'm going to try later today you've inspired me - I don't even want to mess with it - I wasted hours upon hours last year wrestling with this product. I'll let you know

JoeGuitarman
Level 2

I never did get a good answer to the issue. What I did was install the program on a computer as a stand-alone program and not using a network data drive. When I exported the file to proseries I would save that on the network so I could import it the file easily. We took the process off the server. Definitely it was something with the file sharing or some other odd network issue.

Last year and this year we are using the cloud version of Proseries and have not had that issue. It seems the hosting Company we are using, RightNetworks, is able to manage this kind of issue. 

I won't be doing much though as I started the retirement process after 53 years! I have had enough of Washington and the rest of the "woke" government. 

0 Cheers
JoeGuitarman
Level 2

Just saw you are hosted. Contact the hosting company! They have a lot more clout than you!

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

this issue didn't start in 2021...it started SEVERAL years ago. I have been posting about it for at least 4 or 5 years. and I have never done the hosting environment.

0 Cheers
DAIL4321
Level 2

I have tried contacting RightNetworks directly regarding the issue, who cannot help. You have to go through ProSeries Support.

0 Cheers
nytcpa2012
Level 4

I was one of those original folks reporting this problem (to no avail) to Intuit/ProSeries numerous times and so many years ago I don't even remember when I first had the problem.   I am also aghast that Intuit hasn't done anything about this after all these years and complaints.  Maybe they want you to have to use their FA feature within ProSeries instead, but that doesn't allow you to work up depreciation calculations until after the end of the year when doing the closed years' taxes, so interim financial reports can be meaningfully inaccurate!

I finally received a "workaround" solution (from jmarkham, a Level 1 user like me) as follows:

Make a copy of the file EVERY TIME you add new assets (after adding new assets, close the client and then RIGHT CLICK on the client and select copy and a copy will be added to your client list).  

Another workaround to the Print to PDF issue (which corrupts the FAM software every time) is having the Adobe Acrobat Pro DC as a print option.

I hope this works for you in the future.

0 Cheers
TBo
Level 2

I just called, asked for a refund, got placed on hold, then hung up on

0 Cheers
nytcpa2012
Level 4

f you didn't call the sales dept directly, try that

0 Cheers