Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FILED WITH WRONG BANK ACCT

GOgil1963
Level 1

I accidently e-filed my client's taxes with the wrong bank account.

How can that be corrected?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You have to hope the bank rejects it and returns it to IRS, IRS will then issue a refund check and mail it to the address on the return.  They may want to let their bank know, just in case its someone elses actual account number and it ends up in the wrong account.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
itonewbie
Level 15

Call the IRS ASAP and hope to catch them before the direct deposit is processed.  The next best case scenario is for the bank to reject the deposit and for the IRS to issue a paper refund check.  If the bank accepts the deposit or worse, if it gets into someone else' account, it could get more difficult to resolve as the IRS cannot not be held responsible.

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/refund-inquiries/refund-inquiries-18

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

This is why I am always grateful that I did not go to medical school.  Problems with bank account numbers are rarely fatal.  But what if you had accidentally prescribed 50 milligrams of fentanyl when it should have been 50 micrograms?

0 Cheers