Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

file name

dbelling
Level 3

my file names auto populate as numbers which make it so hard to search a client in my external hard drive...any idea how to search my external drive to find a client that did not transfer over.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Not completely sure I understand...is it a 2018 file that didnt transfer over?  Can you open the 2018 program and open that client and see what the file name is for it?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dbelling
Level 3

You are correct...client did not transfer over...I opened 2018 and he is not there either...I save at end of year on an external hard drive...but when I open my hard drive...it lists all clients as a file name...such as 1031...etc not by their name.   I have no way of knowing...

0 Cheers
linette
Level 5

ProSeries default for naming in my system uses last name and last four of social.

Try searching for last four of clients social and see what comes up.

PS-  I don't allow ProSeries to name my files for that reason.

When I have 5 Smiths I want to know which one is which and I am not going to clear social security numbers of all my clients.

In the off season, you can go through and change names on your files and name them so that you won't have this problem in the future.

dbelling
Level 3

How do you get ProSeries to default to name and last 4 of social secuirty number...mine just picks a random number for file name making it almost impossible to know who is who on on my external hard drive.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

So when you save a New client file, it just automatically assigns a random number? 

My office automatically gives it the first 4 of the last name and last 4 of the SS.   

I wonder if yours giving it automatic number might have something to do with it being an external harddrive?

@IntuitAustin theres gotta be a knowledge Base article about this somewhere, right?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers