Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Federal Taxable Income

Forknowledge
Level 2

I received something I've never gotten in all my years I've been doing taxes.   Client has a 1099-R with income in box 1 and 2; no Federal tax withheld; a Box 7 code of 4; the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is checked.

Received the income (split between three heirs) from the death of his mother.

Having never seen this before (12 years in business), I am thinking that this is taxable income due to the IRA box being checked.   I have found in research that payments from insurance proceeds is normally not taxable.   But with this coming from an IRA, that it is taxable.

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

Learn something new every year.

Michael Mincemoyer

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

They inherited an IRA and cashed it out (or took a distribution), its taxable income, yes. 

I see them all the time.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

They inherited an IRA and cashed it out (or took a distribution), its taxable income, yes. 

I see them all the time.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

Your thinking is correct, it's taxable.  Insurance proceeds aren't taxable but traditional IRA distributions always are.

Slava Ukraini!
Forknowledge
Level 2

Thank you for the confirmation.   These clients will have a surprise this year.

Forknowledge
Level 2

Thank you for the information.   A tax surprise awaits this client.

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

@Forknowledge  the bigger surprise is that you have been preparing tax returns for 12 years and this is the first one you have seen.  Very common...routine type distribution.   See several each year. 

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
qbteachmt
Level 15

Did the account owner have Basis? That goes along with the account distributions.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Forknowledge
Level 2

I have seen many returns with "early distributions" brfore.   I ha not seen any with the Box 7 code of "4" before.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I ha not seen any with the Box 7 code of "4" before."

Then you have not dealt with a Death and an inherited IRA to the beneficiary.

For nontaxable basis, for penalty, etc, it has its own treatment.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.