Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Tax Returns

Good morning, 

I'm curious if there is a downside to the non-paid preparer tax return designation when completing a return for a family member? I thought I saw a post about that last year, but can't seem to find it now. 

As always, thank you for the collective wisdom of the group. Cheers, Dawn

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

There isn't a downside, but there isn't an upside either.  Freebie return or not, I am still listed as the paid preparer on the return.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
IRonMaN
Level 15

There isn't a downside, but there isn't an upside either.  Freebie return or not, I am still listed as the paid preparer on the return.

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The only potential downside is that for the last couple of years ProSeries has mistakenly given error messages about it and it can be challenging to get rid of those in order to e-file.

I used to say non-paid preparer for a couple of returns, but due to ProSeries' error messages, I just say paid preparer for everything now.

dkh
Level 15

Ditto what @IRonMaN and @TaxGuyBill  said  ----  I mark family returns as paid preparer.   Because really don't we get paid with gratitude and love .......😁

TAXOH
Level 11

Same here.  I mark all as paid preparer.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"I just say paid preparer for everything now."

Paid with love and respect; otherwise, what good is family?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

Thank you, it does seem less complicated, and as others have noted - there are other things of value. 

0 Cheers