Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extension for 1120S

GlenC
Level 1

I sent an extension for an 1120S and the program rejects and states that it can not be filed after March 15. The IRS has changed due dates to May 15 nationwide and June 15 for Texas. Why will it not go through on efile.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
IRonMaN
Level 15

Paper file the extension.

Slava Ukraini!
IntuitMark304
Employee
Employee

Glen,

The nationwide filing extension until May 17th only applies to individual taxpayers, it would not apply to business tax return filers.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-day-for-individuals-extended-to-may-17-treasury-irs-extend-filing-a...

Business and individual taxpayers in Texas that were impacted by the winter storms do have an extension until June 15th.  But Proseries is unable to update the software for these scenarios.  

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/victims-of-texas-winter-storms-get-deadline-extensions-and-other-tax-re...

kgalland
Level 4

Wow! Finally an answer but there is no way I can get clients to send me extension info today. It is embarrassing for a professional to tell a client that the software I am using will not update per federal guidelines and we have to go to the trouble to mail an extension and hope it gets opened by the IRS. Good luck with that! Very disappointing after all we have had to deal with this year.

Bob Martin
Level 2

So what happens if the Texas taxpayer decides that he wants an extension beyond 06-15-2021, ProSeries is currently preventing the user from filing a 7004 for a 1065 filer who wants and extension beyond 06-15-2021. At some point ProSeries is going to have to let Texas users file Forms 7004 for 1065's during the window period of 03-16-2021 though 07-015-2021. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

It is my understanding that IRS will not update the efile schema for the June 15 disaster deadline.

Therefore the software can't do anything.

Ex-AllStar
IntuitMark304
Employee
Employee

sjrcpa is correct.  The IRS does not update their efile rules for disaster deadline extensions.   An efiled extension after the March 15th deadline will not be accepted by the IRS.  Unfortunately taxpayers in these situations will need to file a paper extension with the agency.  

0 Cheers