Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excess IRA contributions

kjm1059
Level 3

Hello,

My client had and excess IRA contribution in 2018 in the amount of $4,000.  The excess was the result of him being older than 70 1/2

In 2018, the 6% tax was assessed in the amount of $240.

In 2019, the excess contribution remained.  He did not withdraw it.  The tax in 2019 is calculated at $480.  It is showing the 2018 contribution and a 2019 contribution of $4,000 even though he did not make a contribution in 2019. 

What should the tax be in 2019?  I'm thinking $240, but ProSeries is showing $480

Any thoughts?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
linette
Level 5

I think you are right at $240.

Unless there was additional excess contributions in 2019.

Start with the penalty amount of $480 and try to follow it backwards.  It sounds like somewhere there is an addtional $4,000 entered in the wrong place.

Also review the IRA contribution worksheet.  Sometimes I can find links there or entries there that by following will take me to the source.

Another place to look is the carryforward information.

This is a tough one if it is really resulting from computer carryforward as it may not be somewhere in the system that we are familiar with entering.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
linette
Level 5

I think you are right at $240.

Unless there was additional excess contributions in 2019.

Start with the penalty amount of $480 and try to follow it backwards.  It sounds like somewhere there is an addtional $4,000 entered in the wrong place.

Also review the IRA contribution worksheet.  Sometimes I can find links there or entries there that by following will take me to the source.

Another place to look is the carryforward information.

This is a tough one if it is really resulting from computer carryforward as it may not be somewhere in the system that we are familiar with entering.

kjm1059
Level 3

Thank you.  I was thinking along the same lines as well.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

The OP has a follow up question here:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-discussions/discussion/excess-traditional-ira-cont...

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers