Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSignature required?

LJHCPA
Level 4

Is it required to use the Intuit eSignature process? Can I efile a return without using this process? If I mark the 8879 with the taxpayer authorizing me to enter their PIN and use the autofill option for that is it OK to proceed with efiling without sending the 8879 to the client with the eSignature process?

The FAQ I reviewed implies it is not required to use Intuit's eSignature process, I just want to confirm that with my fellow experts, who are obviously more expert than I am.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Camp1040
Level 10

You can email a scanned 8879 and the client can sign and scan back. The verbal choice to enter the pin is fine. The efile authorization form needs a signature, wet or electronic.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
Camp1040
Level 10

You have to have the TP signature and hopefully a review before you efile, but you do not have to use pro series esignature. 

LJHCPA
Level 4

So I must have a physical signature? I haven't done that for years. I've just verbally gave them the choice to have me enter their PIN. I mostly have the same clients for 10+ years. Now with all the covid crap I don't want to start going face-to-face again. Can I mail a hard copy of the 8879 and have them mail it back?

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

You can email a scanned 8879 and the client can sign and scan back. The verbal choice to enter the pin is fine. The efile authorization form needs a signature, wet or electronic.