Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Esignature for 2019 1040 in 2021

Dave Kropp
Level 3

Can we use esignature for 2019 1040 in 2021?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

11 Comments 11
itonewbie
Level 15

According to Intuit's FAQ for esignature, no.  It works only with current year returns.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Dave Kropp
Level 3

They also have this message on their ad:

Need eSignatures for tax year 2019? Just call 855-376-8796 to order, or purchase within your software.

Have to wait until Monday to call. Didn't work thru the software.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

That, to me, is an oversight of the marketing team not updating the website from the previous year.  This question had been before and Intuit confirmed each time to the users that it's not possible - unless, of course, something has changed.  FWIW, here's the article about eSignature and its limitations:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/manage-integrations/help/intuit-esignature-faqs-resource-gui...

Please let us know what you find out from Intuit next week.

Cheers!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

It should work, but there's an issue blocking credits purchased in Calendar Year 2021 from being consumed in ProSeries Tax Year 2019 by normal means.  We are working on a fix that I believe should go out within the next week.

If you have already requested an eSignature for the client before, you should be able to go into the Dashboard Widget and request Signatures from there without getting blocked.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@Orlando  Hi, Orlando, thanks for the update.  Will the Contents team be updating the article in the link for this change then?  Thanks!

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Are you referring to this section?

When will eSignature credits expire?

The units purchased will need to be used by 12/31. Any unused units will be lost. Your eSignature purchase is not refundable or transferable and may not be carried to another tax year.  Therefore, do not purchase more than you need to use for this tax season.

If so, yes.. I think it should say this:

The units purchased will need to be used by 12/31. Any unused units will be lost. Your eSignature purchase is not refundable or transferable and may not be carried to another tax calendar year.  Therefore, do not purchase more than you need to use for this tax calendar year. Also note, you can use any eSignatures you purchase in prior versions that still support eFile.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Nope.  It's the one for:

What year tax programs can I use eSignatures with?

eSignature is only supported in the most current tax year program.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Ah, yes for sure that's wrong as far as I understand it (at least for ProSeries.. not sure about Lacerte or ProTaxOnline) .. (ignoring the bug that's preventing 19 from working with 2021 credits). Thanks for pointing this out. 

What year tax programs can I use eSignatures with?

eSignature is only supported in the most current tax year program.

eSignatures can be consumed from any product version that still supports eFile.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

NP, @Orlando!  Since that article is supposed to cover all three products, it'd be great if you could clarify with your team whether this change only applies to PS or Lacerte and PTO and update the article accordingly.  Thanks again!

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Dave Kropp
Level 3

The esignatures I purchased last week for 2020 are now showing up in the 2019 & 2020 eSignature Dashboard. I''ll be trying to submit a 2019 1040 on the 12th.

Dave Kropp
Level 3

I was able to successfully send/receive 1040 esignature request thru Proseries 2018 & 2019 on Monday morning. A couple hours later tried to send another thru 2019 no luck. Support is terrible. They can't explain what is going on.

0 Cheers