Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error in PS20 Letter Editor ?

co
Level 3

When editing the 1040 letter State Paragraph it appears to me that the "State Due Date" code is NOT filling in the 'data / date' in the letter. It is merely replicating the Letter code. OR am I doing somethign wrong ?  see below ......

[@XXXEFDo]
Your <@XXXStName> return will be electronically filed when we receive your signed State e-file Signature Authorization. The <@XXXStName> return due date is <@XXXEFDate>.

Should read:

Your (State) return will be electronically filed when we receive your signed State e-file Signature Authorization. The (State Form Name) return due date is April 15, 2021.

Instead it reads:

Your (State) return will be electronically filed when we receive your signed State e-file Signature Authorization. The (State Form Name ) return due date is <@stateEFDate>.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

9 Comments 9
Fabian
Level 4

Is the state return already part of your tax return? If you just prepared the federal and didn't go to the state yet, that value may not be available. I can help further if I know what state you're trying to do.

0 Cheers
co
Level 3

Pennsylvania

Yes. State return is part of the federla. Am waiting for PA to "release" final forms, in order to finsih client. Letter is properly capturing all other PA state references. This one is hte only glich. I believe it was there last year in June / July before the "new" 7/15/20 due date.

0 Cheers
Fabian
Level 4

Is your PA return marked for Electronic Filing?

In other words, in the Federal Info Worksheet, is the box checked for "File State electronically" and is PA listed below that, in the list of states to e-file?

0 Cheers
co
Level 3

yes. I checked that. All other references (triggers and data values) to " PA efile" are functioining properly

c

0 Cheers
Fabian
Level 4

Maybe it won't "calculate" that value until the form is final.

One suggestion is to type the actual date instead of using the "state insert code". But you have to remember that if the due date changes (as it did last year)

0 Cheers
co
Level 3

yes. I thought of that. - That is what I did last year, because I could not get a solution or answer from Intuit.

Thanks for your counsel

oc

0 Cheers
Fabian
Level 4

This is how this works: if you don't have a balance due, then <@XXXEFDate> will not have a value, which makes sense because there is no EF deadline for you if you don't owe. So the original letter has that whole paragraph conditioned upon having an EF date, and that's why the original letter has  [@XXXEFDate] at the top of the paragraph, see picture.

PAI_Letter.jpg

So if you put that conditional back it'll work fine. It'll print the paragraph, with real values, when you have balance due and it won't display the paragraph at all when you have refund.

0 Cheers
co
Level 3

I understand the explanation as written - I disagree with the notion that the taxpayer does not have a "DUE DATE" to file the return.

0 Cheers
co
Level 3

I must be missing something ..... when you say this  " ....makes sense because there is no EF deadline for you if you don't owe. .... "  I disagree .

PA requires filing of the form even though no balance is due.

0 Cheers