Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error in dependent

christijoguhn
Level 3

Does anyone have experience in electronically amending to remove a dependent from a return?

Client erroneously claimed a dependent on their return, in which it was the dad's year.  I plan e-file an amendment once they open.  Does anyone know how long it generally takes for that dependent to be "available" for the other parent to claim? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I don't know this for sure, but I would expect that it will be a long time if ever.

If the Father was my client, I would probably advise them to mail in the return...or if they have a refund without the dependent, efile then amend.

Or even work out a cash transfer between the two of them and not amend either return, if the benefits are close to the same for each of them.

Of course stimulus credits etc. may mess up that idea.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The 'other' parent can claim right now if they file by paper.

Otherwise, it takes a long time for an amended return to be processed (even an e-filed amended return), and even once it is processed, it is uncertain how long it would take for the e-file system to be updated that the child is available to be claimed.

christijoguhn
Level 3

Of course we had a cash agreement worked out...  but the stimulus comes into play with the mom already getting it for 2019, and the dad wanting to claim the recovery on his end....  

HUGE MESS!

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I figured that might be the case.

I guess that filing his return without the dependent first, (if he has a refund without), then following up with an amended return (most likely will need to be paper). 

Step 3. Lots of patience on any paper returns, as best of my knowledge they are still backlogged with 2019 paper returns.