Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error exporting to quickbooks

Dyan242
Level 1

I am trying to export a few clients from Pro Series to Quick books using the 

Tools -option on the pull down menu - then QB billing/Customer update - then

Create / update QB customers.

It goes thru the motions and the I get this error...

Unable to find the correct version of QuickBooks.
Please open the F:\QB2020\hm cpa test.qbw
company file in QuickBooks 2003 or later then try again.
If you are running Vista or Windows 7, please close and restart Pro Series, then try again.

No QuickBooks customer records were created.
No QuickBooks customer records were updated.
No QuickBooks invoices were created.

Now what?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
qbteachmt
Level 15

I don't have ProSeries installed, so I am not familiar with how it finds or updates to find your most recent QB file. I can translate this for you:

"Please open the F:\QB2020\hm cpa test.qbw"

The QB data file it thinks is your default or most recently used (MRU, for Windows), is apparently on a Removable or remote device (that's the F:) and has that name. The ".qbw" (where the "W = working") is your QB data file, as opposed to putting QB Backups (.qbb, where the second B = Backup) on that USB device or other connected storage not local to the computer system.

The QB file should be on that computer or a mapped drive, not a removable device.

The message indicates you are supposed to already have the current data file open; is that how this tool works?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Dyan242
Level 1

Thanks for your time.  I have talked to proseries tech dept and both time I was disconnected and the 2nd person had my number but didn't call me back.  Just the pits.

As you suggested I moved the QB data file to my desktop, so that it would be a local drive.  Tried the export in Proseries with and without quickbooks being opened and still the same error. Seems they have had this feature at least since 2003 so you would think this would be a no brainer.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.  Take Care

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"As you suggested I moved the QB data file to my desktop"

There is some confusion here; there is more than one file required, so that isn't what I recommended. I hadn't made any recommendations, yet. The .qbw has associated utility files that are live updated and kept in sync to the .qbw. You cannot move only the .qbw; well, since about QB 2006, anyway.

What you would do is Make a new backup from that QB open file, as you would after a typical work session. Then, use the QB Restore function, to "restore" a new copy as the Working file (it makes a new .qbw file) by pointing the program to put the Restored file into a local drive folder, such as Public/Documents/Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files. Now the .qbw is not on a removable device; you Backup to removable or cloud locations. They are not meant for working from them.

Again, as a QB Consultant, I know how to manage QB data files; not ProSeries. I don't know how you tell the Tools Option to do this with a specific QB company data file. Once you have it locally, though, you should have more success with connectivity tasks.

0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

I'm sorry for the frustration. Unfortunately we're using a QuickBooks component to try to find the right version of QuickBooks to open with that client, so the issue isn't readily apparent to us. Some questions to help troubleshooting:

- Does this happen with all your clients, or just some? I'm wondering if the space in the file name has anything to do with it.

- The file you listed has "test" in it.  Is it really a test file? If so, can you send it to proseries_engineering@intuit.com so we can see if we can reproduce with that file?

- Are you able to open these files in QuickBooks when you double click on them? Is it possible the file is saved as an older version of QuickBooks than what you now have installed?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

To clarify: Exporting from QB to ProSeries would be done for preparing a tax return for that entity. Exporting to QB (as is the name in the title) means this is part of Billing the client for the tax preparation, so there should be just the one file: this CPA's own entity datafile. It's part of Billing.

0 Cheers

So I am having a similar issue-and yet although I am a ProSeries user my issue is wider still since the file exists on a flash drive only, and I can not open it from any program(localized or not).  It appears to be saved as a QBB file (must mean second B is backup.)

All I am trying to do is open the files on flash drive for review and seems irritating something as easy as opening a file can not be done from my system...Am I missing something simple with 1 and 0's morphing into visible light for the day?  Maybe this is clear indication I should go home and live to fight another day re-exploring such basic tasks tomorrow after some rest and fresh set of eyes and and ideas.

Go-go gadget flash drive(open for review) Yep still nothing.  At least I replied to my own post....

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

This is a Windows problem for using the QB file: "is wider still since the file exists on a flash drive only"

First, you need to understand that the flash drive plugs in variably. It might be E: or F: or G:. Then, the QB program has the splash screen with "no company open" and it shows the most recently used files. You control the number of files here, and each of them, if you click on them, shows their entire file folder path. Example:

C:\Public Documents\Intuit\Company Files\My Company.qbw

The use of a flash drive, which by the way often isn't as fast a device as you would want when working with a relational database. would result in multiple listing for the same file, because the virtual drive letter (the F: or E:) changes from time to time.

QB is a program that maintains an .ini file. Initialization = keeps track of details. The location of all of the most recently opened files (up to 20 listings) will be kept there. This is also the place that stores the most recent backup filenames and count based on the setting in that file to "only keep 5" or whatever. That way, when you use the Backup function, the QB program detects you just made your 6th, and you see that pop up asking if you would like QB to delete the oldest file now.

"and I can not open it from any program(localized or not). It appears to be saved as a QBB file (must mean second B is backup.)"

Yes, it does. That isn't the Working file. Saving a backup to a USB device would be fine. Running the .QBW from there would not be. Remember that I earlier pointed out there are at least 4 associated files that the program uses to manage the relational database.

"All I am trying to do is open the files on flash drive for review and seems irritating something as easy as opening a file can not be done from my system.."

Comparisons:

Word has data files = .doc or .docx

Excel has data files = .xls or .xlsx

"Am I missing something simple"

When you double-click or open one of these files, the Windows OS knows that filetype and knows to launch the associated program. But a .QBB, while associated with QB, is not a launchable file. A .QBB file is like a compressed flower bud. It would be Restored, not Opened. Do you have your real QB file somewhere? Typically, you don't open from the file; you launch the program, then open the company file from there.

Because you don't want to Restore a file and cause this to overwrite your current, real, file. I do tons of restores of client files, and have one folder for that work. Then, one folder for files under my direct management. And, one for my own file. That way, I control where things are going and what they are named. I might need to restore a client's most recent file to compare it to their prior version I still have, so I need to control filenames.

"Go-go gadget flash drive(open for review) Yep still nothing. At least I replied to my own post...."

My earlier response to Orlando was to clarify the direction of the data. Not From QB to ProSeries, but From ProSeries to QB.

0 Cheers