Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 202

Tanner Dillard
Level 1

I have a Single Member LLC, 1040 return that I am trying to e-file. It let me file the federal return, but it keeps giving me an error message for the state return. Error code 202. I have ran the error check and there are no errors in the return.  I have updated and licensed the software, but I continue to get the error message. Anybody had this problem before? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
itonewbie
Level 15

Yes, @Steve304 had this problem earlier this year but there doesn't seem to be a solution.  If he managed to solve the problem, perhaps he could share his experience with you.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-discussions/discussion/error-202-contact-technical...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Are you using your clients SS number and not FEIN. just a guess, but your state might not like an FEIN on a 1040 schedule C 

Tanner Dillard
Level 1

His SSN is on the 1040, but his EIN is on the Schedule C and state return. 

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

You need to use the SS number on the schedule C of a single member LLC, this is from IRS: For federal income tax purposes, a single-member LLC classified as a disregarded entity generally must use the owner's social security number (SSN).

Here is link for you to read all the instruction for a single member LLC:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/single-member-limited-liability-compan...

Tanner Dillard
Level 1

The state return specifically asks for an EIN, and if I change it to their SSN it gives me an error message. 

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Are you filling a 1040 schedule C, because I believe most schedule C's filed do not have an EIN only a SS number. I have filed a lot of Schedule C's with only SS number for people that receive 1099MISC, and that is the only number they have with no errors. 

RollTide68
Level 8

From the Schedule C instructions:

Single-member LLCs. If you are the sole owner of an LLC that is not treated as a separate entity for federal income tax purposes, enter on line D the EIN  that was issued to the LLC (in the LLC's legal name) for a qualified retirement plan, to file employment, excise, alcohol, tobacco, or firearms returns, or as a payer of gambling winnings. If you do not have such an EIN, leave line D blank.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sc.pdf

Not every SMLLC is required to have an EIN but if they are then you use the LLC's EIN on line D.

0 Cheers
Tanner Dillard
Level 1

I am not having problems with the Schedule C. It let me input the EIN on line D of the Schedule C and the federal return has been filed and accepted. My issue is with the state return. For whatever reason I am getting error code 202 and it won't let me file the state return. 

0 Cheers
TiredFarmer
Level 7

If you found a solution please post.  Thanks

0 Cheers
TCLCPA
Level 1

In the federal Schedule C screen - at the top- there is a box to check - "Check this box if filing this Schedule C as an LLC in CA, NY, TN, or TX.  Once you check that box, the efiling works.

0 Cheers