Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering Prior Year NOLs by year

DaniK
Level 2

Hey all, I am working on a 2019 Form 1040 in ProSeries Professional.  I have a new client who has prior year NOL carryforward and for the life of me, I cannot find the worksheet to enter this NOL for each year they were incurred.  I see where I can enter the total number, but I need to separate it out.  I've tried searching but just get the instructions for software that isn't ProSeries or just the lump number.

Any help is appreciated!  Thank you!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I dont think PS has one to enter per year.  You could break it into years in the supporting statement

nol.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I dont think PS has one to enter per year.  You could break it into years in the supporting statement

nol.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
DaniK
Level 2

That's what I was fearing.  So based on your screen shot, do I put the carryforwards all in that 2019 line and then it should populate 2020 itself right?  or is that carrying forward TO 2020 that goes in there?

taxiowa
Level 8
Level 8

The amount in the 2019 column is the amount carried forward from 2018, so you would put the NOL there if this was new client and you are working on 2019 return.

DaniK
Level 2

Thank you!

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Be careful with the supporting statements, I have been led to believe that they are not necessarily transmitted with the return.

Any statement that I wish to be transmitted with the return I put in "Preparer Notes"

The heading actually says "for electronic filing use only"

f6 then type pn and it will bring it up.

0 Cheers
DaniK
Level 2

Thanks for the heads up.  I mainly just wanted it in the client copy for the record of what year had what.  So frustrated with this program.

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

In order to claim a carryover I think the IRS requires a Detailed Schedule of the carryover. I use my method (PN)  to make sure it is attached so I can defend it in the future if required. 

0 Cheers