Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering auto license fees and deductible property taxes

Paradolia
Level 2

I'm having issues with the website, and trying to figure out where to enter some of the items on the tax returns for class. With one of my returns, I'm supposed to figure out where to input the property tax of 3100, and the auto license fees with regard to the schedule A. The input I get from my instructor is that they go on specific lines that I can't seem to find, because the website isn't numbered like the forms are.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

14 Comments 14
George4Tacks
Level 15

@Paradolia You are still in the wrong place - Your portals as GOOGLE and https://www.intuit.com/partners/education-program/products/proconnect-tax-online/student-signup/

This for paid professionals using ProSeries - Not the product you are using. 

HINT: Find the form is Check Return. Find the line you want and click on that line. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Paradolia
Level 2

That's exactly what he said, but with the training website, the lines are not numbered like the form, which is why I'm having difficulty. I tried looking at the form line and I still can't figure it out. Not only are the lines not numbered, but my version of the site is laid out opposite of the screenshot lisa posted earlier. It makes no sense to me why the training software would be different from the actual software that's being used in the career field...

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Lisa showed Proseries; she did not know you are using ProConnect.

These are all Different programs.

The goal is to learn what goes where by Function, when doing income tax returns. Different programs will have screen numbers, line numbers, etc. The IRS has form numbers. You will have to learn about a Lot Of Numbers, in this profession.

Asking this community over and over is not going to work for you; asking the Professional tax preparers about class lessons means you are not using the resources provided by the instructor and your product Help and web-based resources. No one here has your lesson materials for reference.

Or, your teacher really has no concept of how to Lead that class. Talk to the school, if you think you've been ripped off.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Paradolia
Level 2

I can agree with you to an extent. I was able to figure out where to input the penalty based on her advice without the screenshot (considering that it's laid out differently than mine) here are a couple of screenshots to show you exactly what i'm dealing with. no page numbers, no line numbers, nothing. This lack of standardization (and the ridiculous rules that the government calls "taxes"), are the reason I'm not returning to the accounting program next year. I don't like not having things standardized. why would the training software be so different? Attached are some shots of the programs internal layout. Perhaps you'll understand why I'm frustrated with the situation. You have been (although a little short and dismissive with your answers) quite helpful, so I thank you for that. But I don't really need anymore "hints". I need to have had a class on how to use the program I was just thrust into for the final grades of the semester.Screenshot (295).pngScreenshot (296).pngScreenshot (297).png

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@Paradolia "It makes no sense to me why the training software would be different from the actual software that's being used in the career field..." That is why you are a student, so that you hopefully will make sense of it. The training software IS an actual software used by many in that career field. My question for you to research is HOW MANY TAX SOFTWARE PROGRAMS are there for TAX PROFESSIONALS? Definitely more than the three on this website that you could not even identify the one you are training with. I wish you luck in the career you choose, but you are currently off to a very bumpy start. 

I have been in this career for over 50 years, so I know of tough it is in the beginning. I have used 7 different software programs, including the 3 that are here. 

qbteachmt
Level 15

This is what you don't understand: "why would the training software be so different?"

It's not Training software.You are supposed to have Student Access to the ProConnect program, for training purposes. That's not the same as "this is training software." Making sample returns doesn't mean it is crippled or different to the real ProConnect, functionally. It still has to meet IRS requirements.

Every program is going to work a bit differently. ProConnect is not ProSeries or Lacerte or TurboTax or Drake or TaxAct or TaxSlayer or any of the other tax prep programs available to you, as a Professional preparer working on your clients' returns. Doing it by Paper would be different, yet. The end goal for Presentation and Submission will meet the IRS requirements, or Schema.

That's the same thing as accounting packages. I teach and support QuickBooks Desktop. I also am a programmer, so I learned Gnu. I won't be learning Freshbooks or QuickBooks Online and I don't know Cougar Mountain or Sage or any of the other Accounting Programs.

We are giving you hints, because this is not Customer Support and we are not teaching your class. No one here is your instructor. Everyone here is already working for clients. That's this community: peer users volunteering to help each other. But that requires you to be certified, to keep up with tax regulations, law changes, continuing ed. It's not a community for Students and for learning. This is not Class Time. It's Office Time. Everyone else is at work, right now.

Paradolia
Level 2

Currently a 4.0 student just trying to get through the finals for income tax. I recognize that you (like many others) have been in the field for (collectively) decades. I'm just trying to make it to the end of the next two weeks because when I googled the questions I had, this was where it took me. I think it's ridiculous that there are so many different programs as well. I also know that sometimes the same program is called something different. Being that I'm in my first year of accounting classes, i would have expected a bit more help from people that have been in the business for so long, that (apparently) have the time to tell me (repeatedly) that I'm in the wrong section of the world of accounting, but not give me the advice I'm looking for. I mean, it's not like I'm asking you for the actual answers, I'm merely asking for help using the computer they gave me to take the test. This situation is like learning how to use a wrench, and then being given a screwdriver for the final test... And then when asking "experts", they tell me that I should have learned to use the screwdriver in the first place, or say "hint: you have to rotate it to get it to work". Can you possibly understand how maddening that would be for a "new accountant"?

0 Cheers
Paradolia
Level 2

After being laid off from my job twice last year and not having a job that can pay the bills... Being "At work" would be really nice right about now. "class time" doesn't equal "playtime". I'm trying to learn how to do what you're "at work" doing right now, and I reckon that as a dual major, I might be pulling more hours "working" on school work than you are in a tax office somewhere. But, I quote my previous statement. somehow, you have time to interact with me through a forum where several things must happen before I even get to read your response, when in all actuality, you could have just told me from the get go where to find the information in the first place. With the first part of your response, thank you for clarifying that there are a stupid number of tax programs in place for different firms/people/businesses etc. to do taxes for there client. the second part of your message was very condescending, and was certainly unnecessarily rude; to think that I have it easy in college trying to learn the things that you've been dealing with for years. *eyeroll*

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I think it's ridiculous that there are so many different programs as well"

I had a visitor from Zimbabwe say the same thing about toothpaste brands at the store. This is a Free Market.

"i would have expected a bit more help from people that have been in the business for so long, that (apparently) have the time to tell me (repeatedly) that I'm in the wrong section of the world of accounting,"

That's not what is being stated; you are Lost on the Internet. You are in the Wrong Web World.

"I'm merely asking for help using the computer they gave me to take the test."

No one can see your computer or what you are doing. This is a Discussion Forum. You posted in a ProSeries forum, but you are not using ProSeries. You are asking basic questions, so do what I did and use Google:

ProConnect 1099-Int

See how easy that would be to get results? Use that computer to do the research. I gave the link to the Form 1040 instructions. Go to the part for Line 10. Go to the info from the IRS for Sched A. Know what you should expect to see from the program you are using. Use the built-in Help system.

Here's what you are doing: You walked into an Architectural Office and you are complaining that no one will answer your questions on Basketball. And you keep standing here and complaining that no one is even willing to directly answer your questions, when you have been told the sports complex is in the next building. Then, you tell us how frustrating Sports can be.

"Can you possibly understand how maddening that would be for a "new accountant"?"

I taught QuickBooks to adults through a lifelong learning center for 15 years. If I ever caught one of my students trying to get answers from the Web and bothering a QB forum on the web, and not paying attention to the lessons and learning materials, you can bet they would never hear the end of it. That's no way to Learn. But, you have to know how to Teach, too, which is its own profession, and hard to do it well.

Let's assume your instructor has provided everything needed for your class and for you to learn. Now, why would the web-based strangers help you bypass those skill-building resources? How can you be willing to turn in work and include "This guy on the internet told me to do it like this." How does that make any sense?

You simply are Lost here.

Paradolia
Level 2

I sure wish I could have a zoom meeting with you. I'd love to pick your brain about things. 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I sure wish I could have a zoom meeting with you. I'd love to pick your brain about things."

Let me make a recommendation for you:

"are the reason I'm not returning to the accounting program next year. I don't like not having things standardized."

If you sort of like this stuff, then you will hate taxes, because you are subject to Congressional whim; they pass tax changes and make them retroactive, even to carry back Net Operating Losses to 5 years back! It's job security that will drive you crazy.

Get into Governmental Accounting. It is Very Restrictive and it takes years before a change is enacted and approved and takes effect. For instance, Towns and Counties and Schools don't file tax returns, but they do file annual reports and their accounting is standardized and cumbersome. You can make a good living at Accounting or Auditing, in that field.

Good Luck.

George4Tacks
Level 15

Actually my first "software" was a #2 pencil, a 1040 booklet and as I progressed IRS Publications 17 and 40 (no longer available). Way before Google, Internet and Tax software existed. The software is only a tool, just like a pencil and paper. 

I will offer you this last bit of information. The tax software you are training on is https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proconnect-tax/discussion/03/304 At the top of the left column of the software is a search box (look for a magnifier glass). Use single words is possible for all searches either in the software or on the link I gave you. Even better use Google for things like this link  Look at the 2nd hit. 

Best of luck. We specialize is snide, snarky and rude at times, but we are all really nice people that generally try to help everyone that take their time to clearly organize their questions and responds with clarifying information. 

Paradolia
Level 2

That's ok, I'm gonna let someone else subject themselves to the whims of government taxes and policy. Who knows... when I get my business up and running, you may end up being the person that I pay to have me as a client. *shrug* I realized halfway through this semester from payroll accounting and income tax that I no longer have the desire to be an accountant. I'm merely trying to finish my semester without shirking my responsibilities as a student. Have a good night, and I hope your future endeavors turn out to be spectacular.

Paradolia
Level 2

It would seem that my search terms were not correct with the situation I'm currently faced with, as it brought me here to this forum. Thank you for that link. As far as a #2 pencil, I think I would prefer that right about now. at least the forms would come with numbers and instructions. The search terms for the software like you mentioned are, for some reason, only mildly helpful, and that's usually the first place I search. Thank you for the (heated?) debate. I hope the remainder of your evening is enjoyable