Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Encountered an improper argument"

FredB
Level 2

When is Proseries going to fix the "Encoutnered an improper argument" that has made Proseries inoperaple for over a month? Will we be compensated for your failures? And YES YES YES I've heard it a million times it's someone elses problem. Are you going to fix it or not!!!?

11 Comments 11
Brian_Christian
Employee
Employee

@FredB

Hello Fred,

The patch is available and the documentation is listed at:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/windows-11-version-22h2-update-history-ec4229c3-9c5f-4e75-...

ProSeries engine team cannot fix this issue or offer more than what has been suggested. It has to be a fix from Microsoft and it has been done. It is provided in update 22H2.

Here are the details about this issue that haven't been previously posted.

ProSeries uses a large memory space because all the various Fed and State forms get loaded in memory upon startup. Because it uses a large memory space (to handle a robust calc engine to perform the many automated calcs you use), It requires larger than a 2gig memory space which was typical for a 32bit application. We made that change a few years ago to accommodate. So, we at the ProSeries engine team use a 4gig memory space. This year TY22 is now 64bit, but we still allocate the 4 gig memory space using a command provided by .net (IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE). This flag is set during compile time to allow ProSeries to have said 4gig memory space during runtime. However, in Windows 11, this flag was no longer available in the operating system so it was shrinking the memory space back down to 2gig, and it presented as the issue you observed. We contacted Microsoft informing them of the missing flag for .net in Windows 11, they created the patch and served it up as it is available now. You may further wonder why it wasn't caught. Well, Windows 11 is new and has not been vetted for as long as Windows 10 has been. So most all our testing occurs in Windows 10 where the largest portion of our clients still reside. The brave few who venture into new Windows operating systems do encounter such omissions and or problems. This will not come down as a ProSeries update. You will have to use Windows Update to get this patch in your operating system. I hope this answers your questions.

dsocpa
Level 5

Same issue and I need to file an extension for 2 fiscal year clients.

0 Cheers
dsocpa
Level 5

Already upgraded and still having an issue trying to pay per return for a fiscal year client.

0 Cheers
Brian_Christian
Employee
Employee

I don't think your PPR issue is connected to this "Encountered an Improper Arguement" issue. But we can run that problem down as well, or if I'm mistaken we can see how its related. If you will use the Help/Send Logs feature and use the email address provided, I will begin to dig in as soon I get your logs.

0 Cheers
dsocpa
Level 5

Will do. Thank you. I completely shut down my computer and now am rebooting - as the saying goes "When all else fails....".

0 Cheers
dsocpa
Level 5

Just sent the zip file.

0 Cheers
Brian_Christian
Employee
Employee

Got it. Investigating.

0 Cheers
dsocpa
Level 5

Thanks. Please let me know what you find out and what I need to do to fix the issue.

0 Cheers
dsocpa
Level 5

I've not seen a response regarding this issue.  I'm going to try to pay the fee and efile an extension which will hopefully go through.

0 Cheers
dsocpa
Level 5

I'm still unable to send the extension because the program wants me to pay a fee.  Per the instructions I went ahead and paid online through my account but the increase isn't showing up for this company.  Very frustrating.

0 Cheers
dsocpa
Level 5

Still trying to file the extensions

0 Cheers