Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elder & Disabled Adult Medical Case Managers...are they a deductible medical expense?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

All my searches keep lumping actual medical care into the results....service is being provided by a Master Social Worker, not someone with  nursing or medical degree.

My first inclination is no, but its enough money that will make a difference so I dont want to overlook the possible deduction.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
qbteachmt
Level 15

Do you know what care is being provided?

I would find out if that person is a Medicare registered provider. If they can bill Medicare for those patients, and if they can bill medical insurance under the medical service codes, then most likely they are providing qualified care. The list of qualified services recently changed.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
BobKamman
Level 15

I would compare it with fees for guardians, and attorneys in guardianship proceedings.  This is what Pub 502 has to say about that.  Also, most hospitals have social workers on staff.  I don't know if those costs are billed separately, but they certainly make sure that medical care is provided.  I don't think IRS requires deductions for hospital bills to back out the social-worker services.  

Legal Fees
You can include in medical expenses legal fees you paid that are necessary to authorize treatment for mental illness. However, you can't include in medical expenses fees for the management of a guardianship estate, fees for conducting the affairs of the person being treated, or other fees that aren't necessary for medical care.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The client is elderly and was rather vague about what shes actually paying for (she seemed a bit embarrassed, shes 84 and moved here from Georgia, very refined southern lady, not one to discuss personal issues in detail), but Im reading the website for the manager she used and it says they consult with physicians, supervise the clients care plan and provide mental health counseling and support for the client and their families.

So, Im thinking the mental health aspect of it should make it qualify as a medical expense.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
qbteachmt
Level 15

Is the provider a "LCSW" (licensed clinical social worker)?

i have a client that does "home organization" and she qualifies for what you asked, because she is sent to homes to evaluate, consult, and do the work that falls under home health and safety, which is billable to Medicare/Medicaid. If it was chronic, it's housekeeping. Since it's "emergent needs" and not ongoing, it's considered preventative, as I understand it.

Sometimes you have to split the costs into "routine and regular life issues" and "medical and mental health."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers