Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Efiling clarification

taxes96786
Level 9

I am closing my tax business but, will still be preparing returns for friends and family. IRS requires minimum of 11 returns to maintain ERO standing. If I continue to use PS in coming years will I be able to efile them if I do less 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

Laura, you have it backwards.  The "more than 10 returns" dictates that efiling is REQUIRED. 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I didnt realize there was a minimum for an ERO to keep their EFIN.

You would need a current EFIN if you want to continue to Efile.

Keeping PS for less than 10 returns per year seems awfully expensive.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@taxes96786 wrote:

IRS requires minimum of 11 returns to maintain ERO standing.

Can I ask where you got that from?  I'm not aware of it.

The reverse it true.  If you file 11 or more you NEED to e-file (unless you qualify for an exception).  As Lisa said, I don't think there is a minimum amount to keep your EFIN.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Also like @Just-Lisa-Now-  mentioned it would be costly. Why don't you just use one of the nonprofessional software packages, like Turbo Tax, HR Block, etc 

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Laura, you have it backwards.  The "more than 10 returns" dictates that efiling is REQUIRED. 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
taxes96786
Level 9

Hi Lisa

I went back to Pub 3112 and see that I did read it wrong. So you are verifying that I can efile less than 11 returns through PS and keep my EFIN with IRS.  I have an agreement with my friends and family that they reimbuse my PS cost only for printing and efiling their returns. I do not charge for the actual prep of the returns.

Why not use a non-pro program, you ask:

I refuse to use and HRB products...long story.

I do not trust using cloud products.

I have not found a program that will allow me to enter data directly to the form rather than by interview or Q and A format.  Do you know of any?

I can't find stand-alone software that will efile more than 5 returns (Turbo Tax limit) their software is also input by interview....that process is too slow for me. I do between 5-10 per year.

I  have used PS Pro since 1994. I switched to PPR two years ago as I was winding down the business.

Finally I can't guarantee that other prep companies will be as diligent as I am when preparing returns. i.e.: I have a friend whose return currently has an NOL carrying forward, PV credit carrying forward and a partial home rental that requires allocation of different percentages to 4 separate forms. I fear this may be lost with a new preparer.

I appreciate any advice you send my way

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

For reference, TT desktop has Forms or Interview. You can switch between them at any time.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
taxes96786
Level 9

Would that be the CD stand alone version? I didn't see a TT desktop version. Thanks for the info I will certainly check it out to see whether it will work for me.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You can buy it as a CD or a download to get Forms entry (very similar to ProSeries), you just don't want the Online version. You cant transfer your PS files into TT though, so youd be stuck entering any carryovers manually.

This is a link to the desktop version

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

Its on Preorder now until 2020 is released.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

All non-professional software is limited to 5 e-files per computer.  So if you need to e-file more than that (rather than paper file), you can't use a non-professional version.  On the other hand hand, you COULD install it on more than one computer, and I think that gets around the limitation.

Yes, the CD/download/desktop version of TurboTax does have "Forms" mode that you can enter things just like ProSeries.  Most forms are EXACTLY like ProSeries.  The ones that are not identical are very similar to the ones in ProSeries.  However, you are not able to transfer a ProSeries file into TurboTax, so you would need to enter everything from scratch.

qbteachmt
Level 15

A CD is just a physical way to load a program that then updates itself over the internet all the time. I describe the QuickBooks CD as a pretty Christmas Tree Ornament; the CD is fairly useless. Getting the download for installation means you always get the most recent build; CDs come out as Release 1.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
taxes96786
Level 9

Thank you all...I will look at the 2020 TT CD/download.

0 Cheers