Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

efiling amended 1040

cindyenfield
Level 2

Last year I was able to efile one or two amended returns, but the 2020 return that I am trying to transmit today shuts down when I am trying to convert it after saying it is ready to efile and saving. I did the original return, used the original file, etc. The message says "transfer was unsuccessful, internal error". I have updated the program, do I need to close and reopen? The only thing I am changing is asking for the second EIP, which the taxpayers thought they were going to receive but did not.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

They changed the procedures for amended returns this year. In the past, we would take the original file and ‘save as’ (new file name) , then activate the 1040x federal and state, make changes and efile….

new procedure (i think) is to work in the original file; activate 1049x federal and state; make changes and efile… the help files will give the specific instructions. 

i only had to amend one so far, but it did work. 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers
cindyenfield
Level 2

I have used the new procedures, but am still not getting the return to convert and efile. I tried unchecking error checking, and have reset all updates, but proseries still quits and says it was user cancelled. IRS will take forever to process a paper return. This is a 2020 Form 1040X.

0 Cheers