Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

efile shut down date?

lfcpa
Level 3

What is the anticipated Efile Shut Down date for 2020? Typically it is in early November. Does anyone know the last day for e-filing 2019 Individual Income Tax returns?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I havent seen this years announced anywhere yet, it was Nov 16th last year if memory serves

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
User FIDO 61
Level 8

🛎correct! Prior year shutdown detail below

The IRS MeF is used to process e-files for all major entities as well as most states. It shuts down once a year for maintenance. The shutdown dates are:

• Individual: November 16, 2019 - January 27, 2020
  • Business: December 26, 2019 - January 7, 2020

https://cs.thomsonreuters.com/ua/ut/2019_cs_us_en/utwapp/kb/elf-all-mef-entities-shutdown-dates.htm

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

I am thankful that Thmoson Reuters is so thoughtful to keep Intuit customers informed 😁

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

Someone needs to do it.

Ex-AllStar
User FIDO 61
Level 8

1040 Modernized e-File (MeF) Production Shutdown

Shutdown begins on Saturday, November 21, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time, in order to prepare the system for the upcoming Tax Year 2020 Filing Season.

Important Note: We recommend that states try to retrieve all submissions and submit the acknowledgements before the scheduled shutdown. If for some reason states are not able to retrieve the submissions or submit the acknowledgements they can do so after the shutdown.

Source IRS QuickAlert e-mail

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪
Ceedee4572
Level 3

Does anyone then know what we do for the returns that are due on January 15th because of a FEMA disaster extension?

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

@Ceedee4572 wrote:

Does anyone then know what we do for the returns that are due on January 15th because of a FEMA disaster extension?

Options:

1) Paper file on time today.

2) eFile late when MeF opens (presumably later this month.)

Ceedee4572
Level 3

Thanks!  That's about all I came up with as well.  Seems like they could have made the date January 31st knowing they would be shut down during this time.

0 Cheers