Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Efile corrected return if original not prepared

PATAX
Level 15

Can we e-file a corrected return if we did not prepare the original return? I thought that we could now do this but I'm not sure.. I tried to do a search on this forum for it but like Iron Man said before the search function isn't the greatest in the world... Client referred a relative to me who is going to call and I don't want to do it if it is going to be an issue and I don't want to have it to be mailed since it may not be opened for a while... and I try to avoid headaches and I don't need the work ... Thank you in advance for any help...

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15
14 Comments 14
IRonMaN
Level 15

Based on memory (which really sucks when it comes to posts here), I thought you could now do that.

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

I found it under the alerts:

How do I amend a 1040 in ProSeries? - Intuit Accountants Community

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yes, you supposedly can do it for 2020 returns (but not 2019).

From what I've heard others say, it can be tricky to figure out how though.  This might help:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/amend-tax-return/help/how-do-i-amend-an-individual-return-us...

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You beat me by 20 seconds.

PATAX
Level 15

Thanks Iron Man, I thought I heard the same thing too, but I'm not sure if anyone actually was able to efile  it without a problem or not.... ..

PATAX
Level 15

Thanks tax guy Bill, that is what I thought I heard also

Camp1040
Level 10

Yes according to the "how to amend a return" section on this forum.

I tried it back in August, pretty soon after it was announced that we could, I  checked all the correct boxes, error check went through with flying colors, the return was rejected a day or so  later. I was amending MFS to MFJ which was allowed according to the instructions but that was the reason for the rejection.

I was prepared to paper file until I notice the announcement that we could efile amend returns we did not prepare. So off in the mail it went

IRonMaN
Level 15

Bill - I am 200 miles farther north than you which means the air is thinner so my posts can travel faster through the air than yours.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Thanks Camp1040... it sounds like it did not work out too well for you and that is what I thought .. That is why I never prepare returns too quickly after those returns are available to be efiled especially early in the tax season... Sometimes better to wait a little bit to let the bugs get out...

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Camp1040 wrote:

I was amending MFS to MFJ

Changing filing status is one of the IRS restrictions that can NOT be efiled.  So that isn't the fault of ProSeries.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

Bill - I am 200 miles farther north than you which means the air is thinner so my posts can travel faster through the air than yours.

I would have thought that the colder air would have slowed it down.

IRonMaN
Level 15

It speeds it up - less turbulence in cold air.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

I must have misread that instruction!

PATAX
Level 15

Don't worry about it... With all the crap that we've had to put up with this year and the other years, my thick pop bottles are seeing double.....🤓