Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-filing

Christy1
Level 2

Ok so the IRS says we can e-file on January 28, 2021 but returns won't be summitted to the IRS until February 12, 2021. Well I have tried filing several 2020 returns and I get a message saying there are errors in the returns. I have no errors I have went through the process of reviewing the returns. There is the form 2210 that says the release date isn't till February 25th so that is the reason why I can't file any of the returns we have in here. All the returns that we are trying to file doesn't have a penalty for  underpayment of estimated taxes but the form 2210 is in the form being used. I was on the phone with intuit for 3 hours last Saturday trying to figure out why we can't e-file. The person that tried to help me couldn't figure out why the 2210 was keeping me from filing the returns. He just said I guess you will just have to wait till February 25th. This is not right when there are people out there saying they already filed with turbo tax and got a email back saying there return has been accepted by the IRS. Can someone please help????? We pay a lot for this software. Our clients are not happy that we can't efile when clearing the IRS has said we could start filing January 28th, 2021. Please help has anyone else had this issue???? 

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

21 Comments 21
IRonMaN
Level 15

Does putting a zero in the box for the prior year tax on the 2210 allow you to e-file?

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"when clearing the IRS has said we could start filing January 28th, 2021."

But that isn't true. The IRS didn't start accepting efiling until Feb 12. Sending something, doesn't mean it is accepted for processing. People sending early were Test Subjects, like dropping it off on the porch.

It's true that your software isn't fully updated and not all forms are out. Do you have people who got unemployment in 2020? You know MD just now voted to change their taxable treatment of it, and the Feds are considering a similar bill? How will your clients take it when they won't have as much taxes owed, but also they need to pay you for an amended return?

And with the TX disaster, keep watching for a changed filing deadline, as happened last year.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Christy1
Level 2

Even if you check the box that there wasn't any tax liability for 2019 we still can't e-file because the form hasn't been released and won't be till February 25th. I have about 30 tax returns in here that need to be e-filed and can't. 

0 Cheers
Christy1
Level 2

I understand that the returns wouldn't be transmitted to the IRS till February 12th but we can't file ANY tax returns at this time. And yes we have lots of people with unemployment and if the Fed's change it then we will have to amended some of the returns but that isn't on us. I just don't understand how turbo tax, H&R block and others can efile and we can not.

We have several returns that are just a single person with 1 W-2 and have no penalty for underpayment of estimated tax and we can't even file these simple returns. And the way things are going I do hope they extend the due date because of the snow storms and certain forms can't be efiled we are going to need more time. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

@Christy1 wrote:

Even if you check the box that there wasn't any tax liability for 2019 we still can't e-file because the form hasn't been released and won't be till February 25th. I have about 30 tax returns in here that need to be e-filed and can't. 

No, I didn't say check the box.  Go to line 8 of the 2210.  Click on the magnifying glass to get back to the federal carryover worksheet.  Enter zero in the 2019 tax liability box.  That will kill the error you are getting about the 2210.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

I sympathize with you Christy... Good luck... Thought e-filing was supposed to be "FAST, EASY, and secure"... just my opinion.

dkh
Level 15

@Christy1    Have you verified your PTIN? it's a new step this year Tools > Options > Firm/Preparer Info check the pink box

Christy1
Level 2
Yes sir we have.
0 Cheers
gary1861
Level 4

I have e-filed a number of returns and haven't had that issue.  Have you tried to delete/remove that form?  I have had a few bogus forms added to returns this year by Intuit, but once I delete them they go away and stay away.  Others not so much.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Are you still unable to e-file any returns - even simple returns with just a W2?   Because the F2210 shouldn't have anything to do with those returns having an error message.   

0 Cheers
Christy1
Level 2

Yes we can not efile even the simple W-2 returns and there isn't an error. It just says this form will be released February 25th so that's why we can't file any returns no matter if the 2210 has nothing to do with their return. But some how intuit turbo tax can e-file but our fancy and costly ProSeries can not. This makes no since. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Did you ever try my suggestion at putting a zero in for the prior year tax.?

Slava Ukraini!
gary1861
Level 4

I have e-filed over a dozen returns, as there is no Form 2210 involved.  Yes, I have a couple that will have to wait until 2/25 due to that form, but most of the early filers don't have that issue.  Did you try to remove/delete the 2210?

0 Cheers
Christy1
Level 2

Yes i did but it still says the return can't be e-filed until the form 2210 is released. 

0 Cheers
Christy1
Level 2

We have tried to delete the form but it automatically comes back. 

0 Cheers
Christy1
Level 2

Really using ProSeries? Because i can't get one return to efile even the simple W-2 ones that don't have the 2210 being calculated so i don't understand. I spent 3 hrs on the phone with Intuit and all he could tell me is well i guess you will have to wait till the form is released on February 25th. That is why i came here to find out if anyone else was having issues.   

gary1861
Level 4

Yes, I have been using ProSeries professional for over 20 years.  I am not having an issue if there is NOT a Form 2210 in the return.  Just think about how many returns you will be able to file on Thursday.

0 Cheers
AmyK1962
Level 3

I know this is from last year, but same thing happening to me this year!  Just a W-2 return and I can't e-file because of the 2210!  I tried all of the solutions mentioned (0 in box 8, checked the boxes, deleted the form, etc...)  and still can't efile!  

Using Proseries Professional....

Oh, yeah...and filed one on H&R block and the person already got their refund!  What is up Proseries???  I think I want my money back....

glw1861
Level 3

I feel your pain.  The form in ProSeries is from 2021, but doesn't pick up all payments made.  I don't understand why this form wasn't updated in December, it isn't like it was subject to new tax law or anything.  Guess no one at the IRS/Intuit feels this form affects anyone.  The only consolation is that the update will be this month, unlike some other basic forms that won't be ready until 3/3 or 3/31.  I guess dead people aren't in a hurry to get their refunds.

Christy1
Level 2

Hello Amy

We have done many returns so far this year and haven't had the problem with the form 2210. The form does say it won't be released till tomorrow. So I don't know why you are having that problem. I am hoping tomorrow we won't have any issues when its released. Our big issue so far this year is if you took an early distribution in 2021 and went ahead and took advantage of splitting it into the next 3 years. There is no error asking about that and the form 8915-E won't be released till March 17th. So we are having to look back at everyone 2021 tax return to make sure they didn't have an early distribution and split it up over the 3 years. We shouldn't have to do this. 

qbteachmt
Level 15

"and the form 8915-E"

You are waiting on Form 8915-F. Not -E.

-F = forever forms. It is used for Disaster years 2020 and later, for tax filing years 2021 and later.

8915-E is only used for Disasters in 2020 filing tax year 2020.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers