Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-Filing Estimated Tax Payments

LJHCPA
Level 4

Can one of you smart folks provide a Cliff Notes version of preparing and submitting E-file estimated tax payments? I tried to setup some client's 4th quarter estimated payments, but I don't think it's going to work, as when I checked the (what I think) are the appropriate boxes and click on E-File it doesn't find any payments to E-file. I need to understand the Intuit model and logic for this process.

I'm guessing the IRS and states get the E-filing estimated amounts and dates when the return itself is filed and not separately. In my instant case my clients get extensions to file until 10/15 so the first three quarters wouldn't even be submitted by that time. Then, I further assume I would have to have the 4th quarter vouchers prepared prior to filing the return. In some cases I'm still revising their next year's income after the 10/15 return filing.

If I E-file for an extension prior to 4/15 will the program record any estimated tax vouchers I have completed at that time and use those amounts for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters? If I change any of the amounts for any quarter after filing the extension I assume they won't change what will be withdrawn by the IRS.

I get conflicting information from the program that tells me to select CA extensions on the federal information worksheet, but when going to the California return it tells me to uncheck that box and only use the CA worksheet. What is the correct way to get both the federal and CA estimated to be made electronically?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

You can't do last year this year. (That is about as Cliff Notes as I can get)

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"If I E-file for an extension prior to 4/15 will the program record any estimated tax vouchers I have completed at that time and use those amounts for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters?"

No, those scheduled ES electronic payments only get sent when you transmit the actual return....you'll want to use the IRS payment website for ES payments made without filing the return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sjrcpa
Level 15

and CA FTB's website.

Ex-AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

Do people still use Cliff Notes?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
LJHCPA
Level 4

Thanks.  That's what I thought. The ES payments are sent with the return, and with these clients the ES function is essentially useless, except for printing and mailing payments with the vouchers.