Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-filing Amended 1040

Dawn B
Level 2

I am having trouble e-filing an amended 1040. I followed all the steps to copy the return and make all my changes.  

The EF center shows my Amended Return Ready to EF, when I convert/transmit, I get a pop-up box that says, "Update, Transfer was unsuccessful. Internal error." When I select the OK box, I get the Print Log dialogue box and it says below the client name "User cancelled EF conversion request."

Then I get another box that says "None of the selected returns/extensions/payments were transmitted.  Check to ensure that all selected returns/extensions/payments have been successfully converted for Electronic Filing."

I have the return marked to file the amended return electronically. I have indicated the Amended Return ready to EF. 

Any suggestions?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

13 Comments 13
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

YOU Efiled the original using ProSeries? 

Make sure you're using the original file for the amended return, don't use the copy.

What is it youre amending for?  For some changes you can't Efile the amended return.

Run through the rules, see if that helps.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-news-updates/discussion/individual-amended-for...

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Dawn B
Level 2

I did e-file the original using ProSeries and I am using that original file to prepare the amended.

The taypayer received and amended K-1 from an S Corporation.

I didn't see anything in the rules that would apply to this return.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"Update, Transfer was unsuccessful. Internal error." 

Since it says Update in the error message....I wonder if you run REFRESH UPDATES that fixes the issue?   Couldn't hurt.   If that doesnt seem to help, a call to support would be the next move.

refresh.png

0 Cheers
Dawn B
Level 2

I did try that also. 

I think a call to support is in my future.

Thank you for you time.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You didnt rename the file, right?  It needs to keep the same file name that was used to file the original return.

0 Cheers
Dawn B
Level 2

Correct, I did not change the file name

Dawn B
Level 2

Lisa, just wanted to update you on what I found out from Tech Support.

The error that was preventing me from e-filing the amended 1040X was a blank line in the explanation statement on the 1040-X.

Thankfully an easy fix.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Yes, easy fix! It didnt light up as a red error on the Forms In Use list? Ive only done a couple of them, I cant remember if it red error alerts for that missing info.

Dawn B
Level 2

No it didn't. I ran my review before trying to file and I had zero errors.

steve1218
Level 2

Wow.

I had this exact same problem and just came across this.

I also had blank lines in the explanation portion of the 1040-x.

When I deleted the blank lines it was successfully submitted!

Thanks for your help and for calling in to support, which I have been putting off.

my
Level 2

I'm trying to amend a 2019 1040 prepared in ProSeries 2019. I followed all the instructions. I got the following error "Cannot electronically file Form 1040X when the original return was not successfully efiled". The original return was successfully efiled and accepted. Any solution?

Thank You

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
are you using the same original file that was accepted as the amended return? You can't use a copy or a file with a different name.

my
Level 2

Thank you.

0 Cheers