Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate SSN on Efile Transmit - not Error Message

dascpa
Level 11

Two clients - upon e-filing state returns transmit fine. Federal returns message Duplicate Soc Sec Num....  This is NOT a reject as shown in EF Status, it's on the transmit. Confirmed no duplicate SSN in system, no 2nd file, no MFJ-MFS issue. One person posted they had same issue but could not remember how it was fixed. Tried Database Maintenance,  tried HomeBase Tune Up.  Tried holding down Shift key when loading program.

I don't believe it's return identity theft because it's not returning an EF Error Message.  Any ideas?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

What does it show in efile center under EF Status

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

Still shows Ready to Transmit.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

is there a form 9325 in either client file

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

No.  There is nothing "unusual" in any either file. 

I did find another post on this board (through Google Search not through this board's search) that after many hours with ProSeries support they believe it is a duplicate tax return filing and that Intuit (not ProSeries) is rejecting the e-file before transmission.  It could be someone else used TurboTax, Lacerte, etc.  I'm now baffled that two clients out of a zillion and all in the last two days.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If Intuit bounces it back immediately as a duplicate SSN, that means someone already filed a return with that SSN using an Intuit product, or used the non filer site.  

Did you ask your client if they used the non filer site to get their stimulus?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

If neither client has a form 9325, then it has not been accepted or received  by intuit. I would refresh updates, do a review, and resend federal only again. I would resend it from EFile center, not from within the client return. If that doesn't  work you will have to call support 😒

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

They did not use the non-filer site. I know for a fact.  It appears it is tax return identity theft, by error or on purpose.  After having none for two years now I have two in two days.  Always at the end of the season......

jkeck49
Level 1

i have the same issue with alabama return, federal return accepted have 9325 state shows ready to transmit but when transmitted get duplicate return already transmitted but cant get status

0 Cheers