Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver's license expired. Hasn't received new one due to Covid 19. E-file isn't allowed

DTNY07
Level 7

I have had this come up a few times this past week.  I have clients whose drivers license wasn't renewed on time due to Covid-19.  I wasn't able to e-file with the expired date.  That seems to be something new as I know the past few years I did have a few clients whose license wasn't renewed on time and I still was able to e-file.  Anyway, the client I am working on now, both spouses had their license expired.  So do I just mark that both don't have a driver's license or state ID.  The two that I had earlier this week, both were also married filing jointly, but the primary spouse was the one who had a current license, so I just marked the spouse didn't have a current one.  I am not sure how much longer it takes for returns to be processed without one.  But as I am in New York City and most of my client base is either NY or NJ I am sure I will have more that have this issue.  Is there a way to leave in the expired date and still e-file. or do I just mark it as they don't have one?  Or something else?   Thanks for any help

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

11 Comments 11
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Put in a fake future date.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
DTNY07
Level 7

It didn't even cross my mind to do that. If the clients return that I am working on now didn't receive the renewal, I will do that for both of them.  Thanks for the suggestion.  

abctax55
Level 15

In CA, licenses renew every four years.  So when the question comes up, I just increment four years....so far, so good.

edit...

BUT the DL info isn't required in CA - NY may give you trouble; let us know, OK?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
DTNY07
Level 7

Thanks for the info.  We were always asking clients for the updated license info when it expired. 

0 Cheers
DTNY07
Level 7

In past years, I have been able to e-file a return even with expired data listed.  But for some reason now pro series is flagging it as expired.  Will see what happens.  I do have some clients in CA, but can't remember if I ever filed anyone with an expired license there.  I looked at the worksheet, Alabama and Iowa are the two other states where it doesn't transfer automatically.  But, I don't have any clients in either of those states.

SHW_621
Level 1

Were your clients’ NYS 2019 tax returns accepted with a fake future expiration date? What about the first 3 characters of the DOC number?  That changes with each renewal for N.Y.S. driver licenses.  My client is lazy and did not want to renew online as I suggested weeks ago.  I believe that the correct way is to check the box that he doesn’t have a license because it’s expired.  Please let me know your experience.

0 Cheers
SHW_621
Level 1

As a follow-up, I just checked the rules for NYS and they do accept expired licenses with the 3 character DOC data from the back of the expired license.  In the Proseries program, I am going to check the box "Does not expire" which eliminates the need for an expiration date to be entered in that field.  The 3 character DOC data is still listed automatically on the New York State Information Worksheet in the field "State Issued ID info".  The IRS does not require this information, it is New York State according to my research.  Any comments will be welcome.

0 Cheers
DTNY07
Level 7

It seems they have been accepted with me just putting a date 4 years from the expiration date

SHW_621
Level 1

Ok thank you

0 Cheers
PaulaB
Level 3

This is an issue every year.  NYS is even more particular than IRS.  This year there has been a big increase in identity theft/verification, at least in my area of upstate NY.  I would not make up dates or other information in these fields because it is likely to create other problems. 

0 Cheers
DTNY07
Level 7

I had started this topic last year.  But, people haven't had issues getting their license anymore.  At least not in New york city.   I do agree with what you said 

0 Cheers