Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does ProSeries PRO automatically transfer date from federal to state tax ?

Whitenoise
Level 2

Hi guys,

Does ProSeries automatically transfer data from Federal to State returns or do you have to do it yourself ?

I have a few clients from different states and I am not sure about their state laws. 

If software doesn't recognize States law automatically do you have some suggestions on courses on IL , AZ and NJ state taxes ?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

on the Info Wks,  Part VI, select the state you want to prepare (you may have to download it if you haven't already).      If you enter everything properly on your federal return, including state wages for particular wages, etc. the program will automatically carry that info to that state when you open it. Near the bottom of Info Wks is part XI, where you go and allocate other incomes and deductions based on residence, etc.

But if you are asking do you have to re-enter the details (like w2s, itemized deductions, Schedule C's, E's) for the states, you do not.  Part XI will do that if you need to apportion. If you are doing a Mississippi return for someone, and they live in Mississippi, ProSeries professional will auto carry current year info to that state.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
PATAX
Level 15

You have to transfer  it yourself .  .. when you click on the state module It'll ask you if you want to transfer the state information  ... Generally speaking Pro Series does a good job on the state returns but they do not place the same emphasis on the state returns as they do on the Federal. Just my opinion.

sjrcpa
Level 15

When I have to deal with new or infrequently prepared states I always have the form instructions handy. (And also for states I do frequently)

In particular I look for additions and subtractions peculiar to the state; depreciation differences, whether you can itemize on state if you didn't on federal, etc.

Also check the state's website for What's New.

Ex-AllStar
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I know in Ohio that the state has a business deduction that the program does not handle by itself and user has to enter it. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Yes.  But you might need to do a little extra leg work depending on what state you are dealing with.  The basic information will be there but whether or not you need to add some additional ingredients is another story.  As far as the comment from my friend from PA, I believe he is referring to the question that pops up when you open a state asking if you want to transfer state prior year info.

Slava Ukraini!
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

on the Info Wks,  Part VI, select the state you want to prepare (you may have to download it if you haven't already).      If you enter everything properly on your federal return, including state wages for particular wages, etc. the program will automatically carry that info to that state when you open it. Near the bottom of Info Wks is part XI, where you go and allocate other incomes and deductions based on residence, etc.

But if you are asking do you have to re-enter the details (like w2s, itemized deductions, Schedule C's, E's) for the states, you do not.  Part XI will do that if you need to apportion. If you are doing a Mississippi return for someone, and they live in Mississippi, ProSeries professional will auto carry current year info to that state.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

It transfers all the basic things, but you need to go over state carefully, as the software will not pick up a lot of state deductions, and credits