Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do they need to file if distribution from 1099-R is over the standard ded, but the taxable amount is below?

Mike12321
Level 4

Client has social security and a pension. Is he still needing to file to report that taxable income is below the standard deduction and has no liability since the 1099-R is already submitted to the IRS?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Check out the filing requirements section:

2020 Instruction 1040 (irs.gov)

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
IRonMaN
Level 15

Check out the filing requirements section:

2020 Instruction 1040 (irs.gov)

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

Does the client need to file a state return?    When I have a client that wouldn't need to file federal but needs to file state, I file both.   Doesn't hurt anything.  I figure I've entered everything already to get my state numbers so why not.

Mike12321
Level 4

Since it says that gross income is all income that isn't exempt from tax, then I think my client is OK. However, he is very close to having some of his social security being taxable, so I may have to follow up with him to see exactly where he is at.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"and has no liability since the 1099-R is already submitted to the IRS?"

The 1099-R is informational. It may have withholding on it, which isn't his Tax. It's a flat % as a mathematical construct by the IRS to get some tax amounts prepaid. Have you figured out if he gets a refund? Not filing means not getting your refund, if you are entitled to one. The entire 1040 is used for tax computation.

You already stated there are at least 3 sources of revenue to enter. Having the Distribution be any amount relative to any other amount has no bearing on anything. This is like asking if you need to include oranges when you are making a recipe that includes oranges and 4 other ingredients.

And there are something like 6 Modified AGI on the 1040 and its provisions, not just one thing that is the same across all provisions.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.