Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dependents.

Level 3

Hi,

I have another kiddie tax question.  Client has about $2,500 in w2,  $11k in Unemployment. Full-time student- Full Scholarship age 22.  No education credits available.  8615 is calculating. Is there anything  against the tax laws to have client claim himself and get the $1800 stimulus check  (less minimal kiddie tax) versus the $500 parent additional child credit parents would get if claiming him?  Could make argument that he is supporting himself based on total income, but even if he wasn't supporting himself could he still claim himself if parents  were not or did not want to? Thanks!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Based on the facts provided, the child is the depended of the parents and is disqualified from the RRC. The question is "CAN" you be claimed as dependent? If you can answer yes, its immaterial whether they are claimed or not. The only way I see claiming self for the child is if he/she provides more than half of their own support. 

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Based on the facts provided, the child is the depended of the parents and is disqualified from the RRC. The question is "CAN" you be claimed as dependent? If you can answer yes, its immaterial whether they are claimed or not. The only way I see claiming self for the child is if he/she provides more than half of their own support. 

TaxGuyBill
Level 15
Spoiler

@garman22 wrote:

The only way I see claiming self for the child is if he/she provides more than half of their own support. 

And with a full scholarship, that seems practically impossible.

As a side note, Kiddie Tax would still apply even if the parents were not eligible to claim him as a dependent.