Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting current year carryover files for clients I no longer prepare i.e. Died, moved, married etc.

Captainrog
Level 1

I have a number of old client files that keep carrying over from year to year that i would like to delete.  Have tried using Client File Maintenance with no success.  I know there must be a way to get rid of them.  Can anyone help?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

In a regular Homebase view, can't you just highlight and hit the Delete button?  or right click and choose Delete?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Captainrog
Level 1

Tried it - didn't work, but thanks for the suggestion!!  It could be that once you choose to transfer a file from  last year to current year you can't delete it but that doesn't make any sense,  I think the time to get rid of the files is to just not select them when transferring from last year to current year.  Thanks again Lisa!  Will call technical support after July 15.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I stopped transferring everyone in at once multiple years ago, too many "dead" clients that kept getting carried forward. I transfer clients in as they come in for their appointments now....makes a much more manageable Homebase.

There shouldnt be any reason for you to not be able to delete them from Homebase though, you cant do it from the EFCenter, but from a regular Homebase view you should be able to delete whatever file you'd like (assuming youre not on a network of some kind, or lack admin privileges...Im not sure how that works)

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
clr600
Level 8

Check to make sure you did not lock the client file or make the file read only.