Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delayed refunds with RRC included ??

dkh
Level 15

Anyone having clients that are experiencing a delay in receiving refund when it includes RRC?   Had two clients call this week, both over 21 days since efile accepted.   Both have CTC and RRC in refund, No EIC.   Wonder if the RRC is causing the delay.

EDIT:   Both clients had a baby in 2020 so the RRC is for new dependent.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

27 Comments 27
ando421
Level 3

Yes. I've had at least a dozen clients call me who were filed in the middle of February who came in before some they knew who already got theirs and after examining the returns the people who are waiting the longest are the ones who didn't get a $1200 or $600 stimulus

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I havent had any calls...the few that Ive had that didnt receive one of the payments (I think tossed them out or they were lost in the mail) owe money, so they're not waiting on a refund.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
NU
Level 3

Are they sure the IRS didn't issue the EIP? I had one client who swore they did not get it, but the IRS "Get My Payment" said they did (probably tossed it).  They eventually were able to call and request a lost EIP card and request a replacement.  It took about 1 week to get the replacement.  I can now complete the return without the RRC and without the client having to request a trace which I am sure would have delayed the return and refund.

I was checking "Get My Payment" for all my clients who weren't sure if they received it, but it has now been disabled for EIP1 and EIP2.    Clients now have to create an account where they can access when they received EIP1 and/or EIP2 and the amounts they received.  More work on the front end, but I am sure it will save some on the back end. 

dkh
Level 15

Both clients had a baby in 2020.  

BobKamman
Level 15

Just guessing, I would think the added dependent is more likely what is causing the delay.  Was it late 2020, so the SSN hasn't got into all the systems?  Were they using the lookback rule to claim Additional CTC?

ljr
Level 8

Our office just started getting the calls about refunds being over 3 weeks since they filed. I haven't checked what is common about the calls yet. But now we have to add another hour to our day fielding calls on where's my refund and where's my stimulus check. . . . . All my neighbors and family have received their stimulus checks so WHY haven't I gotten mine yet? Let me get on my hot line to the IRS - I'm sure they will pick up my call right away.

dkh
Level 15

These EIPs have made people crazy with greed.  Interestingly I've had calls from clients that realized not all of their children are on the tax return.   One had a child in 2017 they never provided information for.  I guess they should review their tax return a little better from now on.

BobKamman
Level 15

@dkh "One had a child in 2017 they never provided information for."

Of course, there are some men who just found out last year that they fathered a child in 2017. 

chasetax
Level 7

@NU i think i found a unique way to check the amount of stimulus for clients--on the 'RRC'  wksht i override line 11 with 2019 AGI and the form calculates payments-most of my clients agree with the pmys it calculates-don't forget to 'cancel override' when done!

dkh
Level 15

LOL and what a wonderful surprise for those men.   But that's not the case here....he knew what that EIP#3 should be and it was short.

dkh
Level 15

client #1 :   the child born Feb 2020  no lookback rule used on CTC

client #2:  the child born Nov 2020  no lookback on CTC    -   could see where this may be held up by the birth date of child

ando421
Level 3

Some of them definitely got it and just didn't know or when I asked them to check said they couldn't but swore they never got it. I for sure had one client who came in said they didn't get I filed with the rebate and then they called two weeks later saying they actually did get it. It's now been 6 weeks and they still haven't gotten their return.  

qbteachmt
Level 15

"or when I asked them to check said they couldn't"

Yes, they can check their "tax account" on line or by mail. Have them print and bring in that part of the transcript as proof they have nothing listed.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
NU
Level 3

Thank you.  I will definitely use that hack.  I still want my clients to backtrack and confirm actual receipt of the payment to ensure it was not tossed or lost.  This tends to be an issue for my senior clients who don't like direct deposit and can't easily check for it.  They sometimes have either tossed the check/card or forgotten they ever got it and cashed it.  

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I will definitely use that hack"

It's not a Hack. It's how your client takes responsibility for getting to you what applies. As the preparer, you would be responsible for the due diligence; others here observed that unless their client proves otherwise, they assume the client got all Advance payouts.

0 Cheers
ando421
Level 3

Hahaha. So **bleep** true. "You looked on "Where's my Refund" and it says processing return? Let me see if I can get some more information for you" *check proseries* "Yeah my program says it's been accepted and I can't really get any more information than that other than the site you already checked" 

That's a conversation I've been having far to many times.

Liesal
Level 4

so just came to the boards as i have just today and also before today been fielding questions about where is my refund.   All but one was filed after the third stimulus package late February.   one was filed before and had unemployment .   so i s uspect system flagged it to calclulate the exclusion.   another one got married and swore they didnt get second eip .  I too have learned we cant check on system for eip 1 and 2 any longer and I continue to be surprised by I dont remember answer.   In most cases i go by what they should have received especially if it should have been in full. 

I am telling everyone to check irs wheres my refund and be patient.

Liesal
Level 4

can you provide a link to this where tp can create an account to trace the eip 1 and 2. 

I suspect if system is holding up the return then if client is wrong and they did get then they will need to have irs reissue it...

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I am taking "don't remember" as a "no" because if you enter a number, IRS will correct it -- if you enter nothing, IRS will never check.  If they have to wait for the refund and it's less because RRC was corrected, it will help improve their memory.   Tell them RRC stands for "Remember Real Cash"

0 Cheers
Liesal
Level 4

not sure what you mean by enter nothing as program spits out error message unless we enter something

so in the case of newly married couple I entered only 600 for second payment as they claim she never received second.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"can you provide a link to this where tp can create an account to trace the eip 1 and 2"

The IRS provides all of this. Did you look there:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Image:

https://www.irsmind.com/irs-notices/irs-transcripts-now-provide-stimulus-payment-information/

0 Cheers
Liesal
Level 4

thank you

I thought it had to do with transcripts.  its a feature i have not used alot recently.. I dont have a fax and they changed the account services a few years ago.    Yes I guess that makes me lazy or either too cheap to do things I cant bill my clients for.( or they dont want to pay for)

Thinking retirement is looking better everyday....

0 Cheers
Liesal
Level 4

also i just checked pro series basic does not offer to print the form 8821...

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Form 8821 can easily be downloaded from irs.gov    

qbteachmt
Level 15

"also i just checked pro series basic does not offer to print the form 8821..."

Right here:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/proseries/forms-finder/

Oddly, it's even listed 4 times, for Proseries Basic.

Form 8821, Tax Information Authorization Final, EF Not Allowed

0 Cheers
Liesal
Level 4

In my software it is not listed on find forms/.   I should not have to search the intuit web site long list of form availability

Yes I now I can print off irs web site  but its not like pro series isnt costing a lot of money already.. sigh.   .  

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"In my software it is not listed on find forms/"

I used that link, which has a Basic and a Professional section.

"I should not have to search the intuit web site long list of form availability"

I use Find. Ctl F, put in:

That's why I know there are 4 listings for that same form.

0 Cheers