Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deductible SIMPLE contributions for sole proprietor 2020 program

bhill_nnews
Level 3

Anyone tried using the worksheet for calculating deductible SIMPLE contributions for sole proprietor in the 2020 program? It is supposed to use the same rules as the worksheet in IRS Pub 560. Page 3 of the worksheet has 2 sections: Part IV-Detail of Maximum Allowable Deduction Calculation for SIMPLE Plans, and Part V-Maximum Keogh/SEP/SIMPLE/401(k) Deductible Contribution. In the 2020 program, Part V--which is what carries to the adjustment line on the return--is showing a number $500 less than Part IV. The total number in Part IV corresponds to the amount computed manually on the Pub 560 worksheet. Am I missing something? I can't think of a reason why the program would deduct $500 less than the maximum allowable amount computed by the worksheet and by manual calculation? If I reduce the Owner-Employer match amount, which is the only real variable, the numbers change, but there is still a $500 variance. The actual maximum amount is not in excess of the limit imposed by net income. I think it's a glitch. It's never worked this way before, but everything in the last year has been so unprecedented...just asking.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The limits havent been updated for 2020 yet.   Ive reported it as best as I can, now we wait for it to be fixed.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The limits havent been updated for 2020 yet.   Ive reported it as best as I can, now we wait for it to be fixed.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
qbteachmt
Level 15

Right here, you see $500 is the difference:

"You may defer up to $13,500 in 2021 and in 2020 and $13,000 in 2019"

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
bhill_nnews
Level 3

Thank You!!!

bhill_nnews
Level 3

I knew I must be missing something 🙂 Thank you for replying!

0 Cheers
SDJayhawk
Employee
Employee

All...this issue has been reported and noted.  We hope to have it updated by the end of the month.