Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current Year 1040X - Current amounts column not populating

ESHRIMPS
Level 2

I am trying to complete a current year 1040X for a client and Column A isn't populating with the current amounts. I feel like in the past there was a box to check to populate Column A, but I can't find anything on the form.

I'm not actually making any changes to the amounts on the original return, the only reason I need to file amended is because my client's return was rejected since they apparently used the Non-Filers Tool to update their direct deposit information. 

How do I get Column A to populate?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@ESHRIMPS wrote:

I am trying to complete a current year 1040X for a client and Column A isn't populating with the current amounts. I feel like in the past there was a box to check to populate Column A, but I can't find anything on the form.

I'm not actually making any changes to the amounts on the original return, the only reason I need to file amended is because my client's return was rejected since they apparently used the Non-Filers Tool to update their direct deposit information. 

Did you activate the 1040X, click the year box at the top, then go back and make the changes?

If the original return was a zero filing, then Column A wouldnt have anything in it....would it?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@ESHRIMPS wrote:

Did you activate the 1040X, click the year box at the top, then go back and make the changes?

If the original return was a zero filing, then Column A wouldnt have anything in it....would it?

ESHRIMPS
Level 2

Oh of course. I was thinking the original return was the one I prepared, but of course it isn't. 

Thank you!

0 Cheers
Greta
Level 9

I pressed the box for 2018 in 1040X, then put in my changes. Nothing got populated. I've done many amended returns, I am doing it in the right order.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Greta, you may need to do the REFRESH updates if you haven't done that with 2018 lately, I know I had issues with 2018 amended returns last month and I had to go through REFRESH updates to make it work properly.

They also stuck a 2019 box on that 1040X (no clue why!) so be sure you are checking the 2018 box, not the first one that says 2019.

0 Cheers