Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of legit brain surgeon certificate

IRonMaN
Level 15

We were having an in depth discussion on obtaining a legit brain surgeon certificate before Intuit took the post down.  As a follow up to that discussion, since I’m not a brain surgeon until the certificate arrives, can I deduct the cost of the legit certificate?  How about if my new friend let’s me down and it isn’t quite as legit as he made it sound?  Would my supply of surgical supplies be deductible - you know, like the cost of my chainsaw and ratchet straps (how else are you going to secure a patient to the operating table)?  I’m pretty sure I can deduct the cost of my ACME legit malpractice insurance.  

This is all hypothetical at this point but I know hypothetical questions and homework is allowed here so I’m just looking at getting input from real tax pros.  Please don’t post any snide or snarky responses - this is a professional forum only for professional tax professionals.  If you aren’t a CPA, but want to be, let me know and I can hook you up with a guy I met here that can get you a legit certificate.

Slava Ukraini!

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

19 Comments 19
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I'm disappointed I missed that one.   🙂

@IRonMaN wrote:

like the cost of my chainsaw 

You don't need a chainsaw anymore.  There are better non-invasive methods, usually involving a clothes hanger or plumbing snake going up the nasal cavity ...

abctax55
Level 15

Sounds like I missed some 'fun'....

Obtaining the certificate (the actual piece of paper...) should be deductible, as well as framing it to hang on the wall.

The cost of the education/training/etc needed to actually order that sheet of paper - I'd vote nope (based on the massive amount of facts provided /S). 

Seems to me one is "qualifying for a new profession" and those costs aren't deductible.

NMI

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
poolcleaner
Level 9

Generally the cost of qualifying for a new occupation is not deductible.  Were you licensed to perform brain surgery before the purchase of this new certificate?  If this post is removed, does that negate all of your and Acme's efforts to become a qualified brain surgeon?  Asking for a friend.

IRonMaN
Level 15

"You don't need a chainsaw anymore.  There are better non-invasive methods, usually involving a clothes hanger or plumbing snake going up the nasal cavity:

But I'm kind of a level 1 brain surgeon, I think that nasal cavity thingy calls for at least a level 10.

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

"efforts to become a qualified brain surgeon?"

I'm not looking at being qualified -------- I'm just looking to make a couple of extra bucks in the summer and interested in starting a new hobby.

"Sounds like I missed some 'fun'...."

Yes you and Bill did. Somebody posted and gave links to provide "legit" passports, drivers licenses, and other sundry things so I just had to inquire about a certificate to be a brain surgeon.  He was going to hook me up with one but I haven't followed up with him yet.

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Oh, I did see the posting of the passport post, but missed the followup comments about it.   😞

IRonMaN
Level 15

Bill - you skip over all of the good stuff.  I just hope you don't skip over the comics and head to the front page of the newspaper in the morning 😜

Slava Ukraini!
TAXOH
Level 11

I hope you still have scribbled in on your calendar for the brain surgery.

IRonMaN
Level 15

You are scribbled in.  But it is a good thing you checked in -------------------- I think I'm getting close to being a legit doctor since I couldn't read my own scribbling.  I'll type you in so I can read it later.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Like most of the questions asked here, you don't provide enough details, so some will crack open their skulls while jumping to conclusions.  Is your brain-surgeon work as an employee, or are you self-employed?

IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm guessing I will be self employed unless hospitals and clinics do just rely on legit certificates in the hiring process.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

There's that clinic in Texas whose doctor diagnoses based on conditions like alien DNA and demon sperm.  You could probably get a job with her.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

Thanks!  Now that you mention it, with my medical skills, I would be a great fit for that clinic.  If I get an interview with her I'll kinda steer away from the alien and demon stuff discussions though.  Sounds like she has been hit by a few more anvils than I have.

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

My neighbor's renter would qualify for your medical assistant.  He has some chainsaw skills.  Of course, you'll have to wait until he's released from jail.  Last Thursday he attacked his father with a chainsaw - fortunately it wasn't running.   Crazy !!!

IRonMaN
Level 15

I'll have to scratch him from the list of candidates.  If he didn't get that saw running, it sounds like he doesn't know how to operate it properly.

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

Looks like I missed my opportunity to get counterfeit currency.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

I think it is officially called “legit money”  ——— wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Slava Ukraini!
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

shoudn't it be 'legitimate brain surgeon certificate'?

asking for a potential patient.........

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
IRonMaN
Level 15

That sounds to legit to be real.

Slava Ukraini!