Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CONSOLIDATED S CORPS

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

I know on the page 1 of the 1120 you can click the box for Consolidated return, and proceed. (have to mail still, although Lacerte lets you efile).  So, what if you wanted to change the corporations to S corps (which it appears you  can do)....where do you note that on a S Corp return that it is a consolidated return?  I can't seem to locate that. 

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
rbynaker
Level 13

Not at all my area of expertise so someone smarter than me may jump in and correct me here . . .

My understanding is that you make a QSUB election for the subsidiary S Corps and doing so effectively turns those S Corps into disregarded entities for tax purposes.  You would consolidate the books outside of the tax return process (i.e. Excel) and just report the totals on the "consolidated" S Corp return.  But since it's just one entity for tax purposes, there's no need for a consolidated check box.

I'm not sure how you'd get to S Corp w/QSUBs from C Corps owning C Corps so I have no idea where those land mines are buried.  Tread carefully. 🙂

Rick

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

exactly... i do 1 consolidated... and the owners were inquiring about this.  Google/IRS wasn't much help..... so this group of brains ( along with the more-than-occasional 'brainless'), was my next logical step.  Was not sure about the subsidiary's form 2553 either, for sure.  

thanks for your info. 

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.