Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client not claiming 19yr dependent for 2020 to get her stimulus

LilFos
Level 3

I have a client in which I can file their 19yr old child with little income and have this child claim herself and that triggers the $1800 stimulus rebate credit.

Does not seem right but sure does look like it would work. 

Just posting for some input and comments.

Thanks

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LilFos
Level 3

Thanks for quick reply and yes I agree with the "Can They" criteria and just wanted to get additional feed back. I told client "Nice Try" but I would not want them to come back to me when the IRS issued a letter to them 2 years from now 🙂

Again thanks

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Remember that the Question on the information worksheet is worded

"Can the taxpayer be claimed as a dependent of another person(such as parent).

I think "Can they," is really the controlling question. 

TAXOH
Level 11

If they CAN be claimed as a dependent they don't qualify even if they aren't actually claimed.

IRonMaN
Level 15

"Does not seem right but sure does look like it would work"

Fabricating a charitable contribution equal to your total income would work to reduce your tax liability, but are you going to do that?  Just because something "will work" doesn't mean you can do it.  Sometimes you just have to sit down and think about the basics, like support, before you prepare a return.

Slava Ukraini!
LilFos
Level 3

Thanks for quick reply and yes I agree with the "Can They" criteria and just wanted to get additional feed back. I told client "Nice Try" but I would not want them to come back to me when the IRS issued a letter to them 2 years from now 🙂

Again thanks