Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Dies With Rental Property

KMACK
Level 4

I have a client who died in 2019 with rental property.  On her personal return, does the depreciation of the property stop on the date of her death (like the other expenses)?  If so, I how I reflect this in ProSeries?

Then does the property go into her estate and get reflected on the 1041 for the rest of the year?

KMACK

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

On the asset entry worksheet youd enter a date of dispostition (scroll down down down) to stop the depreciation as of that date, do not enter a sales price.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

On the asset entry worksheet youd enter a date of dispostition (scroll down down down) to stop the depreciation as of that date, do not enter a sales price.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

After death, the rental income and expenses go on the 1041.  You don't have to use a calendar year for that; you might do the beneficiaries a big favor by choosing a fiscal year.  The depreciation starts over with stepped-up basis (or stepped-down, although we don't have to worry about that as much these days -- yet).  

KMACK
Level 4

Thank you.  Good tips!

0 Cheers