Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change to procedure for Amending returns

The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Apparently the entire procedure to E-file amended returns has changed since yesterday. One of those yellow highlight bars announcing that would have been nice.

Is anyone else having difficulty e-filing the 1040X now? Followed all the new steps, but I keep getting the message that a return has already been filed with that SS# and I can not get it to e-file.

I am using the file listed under the Amended return column, Marked for e-file, but no luck.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

15 Comments 15
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

1) you are the person that filed the original return, correct?

2) in part VII of the info sheet, you marked "file federal amended reurn electronically"

3) you are using the 'same' file you orifinally filed, not a file with a new name, like  xxxxxxxamended.20i

4) on info sheet Part VII again, is the box below the box you checked in my #2 above, is it now checked (by proseries, not by you)?

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, it was checked before I did anything.

Unfortunately, I did not realize the procedure had changed since I amended returns yesterday, so I proceeded to do the amendment according to the previous method, Client file maintenance/ back up/copy file etc... I don't know what that might have done, other than not work.

Deleted all amended info and began new procedure to amend. Saved as and the rest. I have the original return and the copy. I amended the original return, not the copy and all the correct boxes are checked, selected the correct file listed under the Amended return column, yes to the duplicate SS#, but could not efile it.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
So in the EFCenter you see the red message that its a duplicate SSN?

If you kept a copy of the orignal and saved it as a different name, be sure youve unchecked the EF boxes on it to get it out of the EFCenter or you WILL have a duplicate SSN message.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Yes, the EF center has the red duplicate SSN message.

The error message I get is, Another return has already been filed with the SS#. If you need to make changes the return has to be amended. The amended return column has Marked for EF and I am using that file so not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Again, the copy you made, did you uncheck the EF boxes on the Fed info worksheet?

0 Cheers

I am doing my client 2017 tax return and I have questions about the IRA contribution

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You may want to start your own post....this one isnt about IRA contributions.
https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/forums/postpage/board-id/203

sjrcpa
Level 15

@dawn-fsataxaccou Start a new topic for his question.

You tacked on to one that is totally unrelated to your question.

Ex-AllStar
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Yes, I did uncheck the efile on the worksheet of the copy but that removes the file from the EF center and the instructions say both should be in the EF Center. Tried both ways but just get the "return already filed" message.

Also, the 9325 Acknowledgement on the original efile is now missing.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I never make any copy, I just use the original and amend it so Ive never had any issues with Efiling an amended return (I keep a printed or PDF copy of the return that was originally filed).....the whole "make a copy" thing seems to trip lots of people up for some reason.

The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

I've always created a copy of the file to amend a return, prior to the e-file option in 2020. I e-filed 3 on Monday using the first procedure but now I can't seem to get it done with the new procedure.

So have you e-filed an amended return since Monday without making a copy or following the current instructions. I have Paper and PDF Copies of the original return so I'll try amending the original file and see if that works. Thanks for your help.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You HAVE to use the original file as the amended if you want to Efile it.

If you had a file named JonesTom.20i that you originally Efiled but now you need to amend it.

To make a copy, youd open JonesTom.20i and choose Save As and name it JonesTomOriginal.20i and uncheck the EF boxes on it, save and exit.....that JonesTomOriginal.20i file disappears from the EFCenter and you're left with JonesTom.20i, the original file that you Efiled, THATS the one you have to use for the Amended return.

The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

I'm sorry, I did use the original file to amend the return, not the copy. 

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

i am confused as to this 'procedure change' you are referring to. I amended (e-filed) 2 2019 Form 1040s yesterday, (just exactly like i always did), and they are accepted this morning when i checked.  

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

I'm confused as well. Monday I e-filed 3, 2020 amended returns and they were accepted. I followed the instructions, at the time, Homebase View, Form 1040 Individual, Highlight return, File menu/Client file maintenance, Copy/Backup to designated location. 

Tuesday, I followed the same procedure but could not get the return e-filed. Looked at the instructions for amending, assuming I had forgotten some step, and the instructions had been changed to, Open return, File, Save as, Open original return not copy, F6, X etc...

So I followed that procedure, Amended return column marked for EF but I get an error that the return has been filed and needs to be amended for any changes.

0 Cheers