Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cars Act above the line charitable donation

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Just for everyone's info, it seems the new above the line deduction is $300. Here is what the official doc. says, and here is link: 

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/3548/text?q=product+actualizaci%C3%B3n#toc-...

SEC. 2104. ALLOWANCE OF PARTIAL ABOVE THE LINE DEDUCTION FOR CHARITABLE CONTRIBUTIONS.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Eligible taxpayer...so I guess a spouse isn't eligible?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Have to look at possibility of comparing MFS vs MFJ

itonewbie
Level 15

The JCT explanation of Sec. 62(f)(1) in relation to eligible individual, in the form of footnote (#76), is very clear the $300 limit is applicable to a tax-filing unit.  In other words, it is the same whether the return is filed as MFJ or MFS.

Sec. 62(f)(1). The $300 limit applies to the tax-filing unit. Thus, for example, married taxpayers who file a joint return and do not elect to itemize deductions are allowed to deduct up to a total of $300 in qualified charitable contributions on the joint return.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

@Terry53029 wrote:

Have to look at possibility of comparing MFS vs MFJ

If we look at the above-the-line deduction for charitable contributions in isolation, that will likely not move the needle.  In fact, filing MFS for just that would likely be disadvantageous, everything else being equal, when other tax effects as well as additional tax prep fees are taken into account.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

@Terry53029  - What is this *Cars* Act you are referring to?  I haven't done my tax refresher course yet; looks like I missed something.  🤣

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

and it's cash only contributions, no in-kind donations.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

@itonewbie  In fact, filing MFS for just that would likely be disadvantageous, everything else being equal, when other tax effects as well as additional tax prep fees are taken into account.

True, except those of us in the business tend to overlook the 70 million or so people who prepared their own returns for 2019.  (The number is higher than the 57 million for 2018, because of the EIP returns.)  There will be media reports about how you can save $75 or so by filing separately, and those who are OCD about tax preparation will try it.  Many of them may get it right. 

And then there is my client whose AGI was something like $85,200 in the year when the cutoff for higher Medicare premiums was $85,000.  Another $300 above the line for her (and I'm not sure this actually goes to AGI, I am still looking at 2019 returns) would have saved her about $800.  Sometimes, not everything else is equal.  

itonewbie
Level 15

@BobKammanGood point.  There will always be narrow groups of folks who could benefit, like in the case you cited.

Still an AllStar
Ephesians3-14
Level 8

So, the idea is that if you are not itemizing, then you can deduct $300 above the line? I don't see a line item for that on Sched 1? Not in the software yet?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I don't see a line item for that on Sched 1?"

1040, line 10b.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/f1040--dft.pdf

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.