Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot e-file with EIC

tempo
Level 1

I cannot e-file because I have the EIC credit using my 2019 W2 and have no income for 2020. Is there any way to bypass this?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

So you had earned income in 2019, but didnt get any unemployment in 2020?  How did you support yourself?  Do you qualify as a dependent of anyone else?

At any rate, Efiling isnt open yet anyhow, you cant send anything in until Jan 28th at the earliest.  Even then, some forms may not be finalized, we'll have to wait and see.

IRS wont be processing any returns until 2/12 so theres plenty of time for things to get fixed up.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

14 Comments 14
athaureaux6
Level 8

Hi, I know about this law that allows you to use the earned income from 2019 if it is higher, but be careful. We have been discussing this topic for a week now and people are not sure how to proceed. I encourage you to join the discussion. And the IRS is not giving too much information specially if the client has no income like the case you mentioned. I called the IRS Practitioner Line, Dpt of EITC yesterday and they told me that with 0 earned income a person does not qualify for that provision. But we went back and forth because I told him that was the purpose of the provision due to virus, and he started getting frustrated and I had no option that to hang up. I told him this and he got mad: How about a person that did UBer for a week, or worked in Walmart for a week and had almost 0 earned income. He told me, that person it is not going to get the EITC, and I said, well that is not what the law says because he can use the income from 19 and he seemed to get upset. We are all waiting for clarification, join the discussions we had. 

athaureaux6
Level 8

But if you had that client already, and nobody is 100 % sure about it, do not try to bypass because it is denied you will cause that taxpayer a big headache maybe for the next 10 years they are going to penalize him/her with the credit. Wait a little a bit for clarification, please do not get in trouble, I know we all want to help as much as we can. 

If you put 1 dollar in Self employment income, or other earned income,  you bypass the error and can efile but wait. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

So you had earned income in 2019, but didnt get any unemployment in 2020?  How did you support yourself?  Do you qualify as a dependent of anyone else?

At any rate, Efiling isnt open yet anyhow, you cant send anything in until Jan 28th at the earliest.  Even then, some forms may not be finalized, we'll have to wait and see.

IRS wont be processing any returns until 2/12 so theres plenty of time for things to get fixed up.

athaureaux6
Level 8

Hi Lisa, did you find out anything new about this new provision for the EITC. I talked to the IRS yesterday about it, specifically to the guy in the Practiotioner Line department of the EITC and he seemed to get upset when I asked questions about the provision. I told him to explain it to me in more details because we are all confused with the lack of specifics, I asked him if a taxpayer had 0 earned income and he told he will not get it using the 2019, I replied where does it say in the new law, and he got frustrated and mad it seems, then I asked, what about if the person did uber for a week, and he got even more frustrated. I am still not sure about this, you have been in our discussions. What do you think. 

0 Cheers
athaureaux6
Level 8

I see the reasoning for the provision but what gets me confused is how much is little income in 2020? That is not clear to me. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I think we're reading too much into it, the law reads 2020 earned income is less than 2019, zero is less than. 

I don't see anything that says they must qualify for EIC based on 2020 earned income before using 2019 earned income is an option.

So unless we see any more IRS guidance about this in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to take it at face value, zero is less than any other figure.

BobKamman
Level 15

@athaureaux6 "we are all confused with the lack of specifics, "

Speak for yourself.  Some people are still confused with the results of the election, because of trash talk from those trying to confuse them.  

athaureaux6
Level 8

You always post stupid answers that do not benefit anything about the conversation. I am not first one to tell you that. The other day somebody told you the same thing. If you do not have anything to say better keep your mouth shut. Stop posting all these stupid phrases and concentrate in the topics we are discussing. 

BobKamman
Level 15

@athaureaux6 

Considering the source, I take that as a compliment.  

0 Cheers
athaureaux6
Level 8

You think you know everything and you do not my friend. And I am done with this nonsense. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

"If you do not have anything to say better keep your mouth shut"

He always has plenty to say --------------- some good, some bad, but when you are looking for free advice you can't be picky.  The only cost of admission to this place is buying yourself a thick skin.  If someone is really thin skinned, they might want to pay for advice elsewhere instead of going the freebie route here.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

@athaureaux6 

Feel free to return when you are not so confused.  

tempo
Level 1

This was helpful, thanks.

qbteachmt
Level 15

@tempo 

You seem to be lost on the internet.

You’ve come to a Peer User community for Intuit Tax Preparation products supporting tax preparation professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Thanks.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers