Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot E-File 1040 With Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

Phil156
Level 2

Hi - I'm getting an error that the return can't be e-filed because Total Income and everything below it are zero.  All of the taxpayer's income is foreign and excluded by the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.  Form 2555 is completed and there are no other errors.  I've filed this same return since 2011 with no prior issues.  The only change this year is that the taxpayer got married and is filing separately.   The spouse also lives in the foreign country and is taking the exclusion (although using a different preparer so I don't know what's happening on their end).  Everything I read tax-wise says there is no issue with taking the exclusion on a married-separate return.  If I change the filing status to single the error goes away.  Any ideas? 

Thanks  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Zero income returns cant be Efiled....if you throw a small amount in interest does the Efile error go away?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Zero income returns cant be Efiled....if you throw a small amount in interest does the Efile error go away?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Phil156
Level 2

Hey Lisa,

I threw a dollar in and that cleared it!  Thanks so much for your quick help!  Stay safe. 

Regards,

Phil